Looking for a way to use up all that leftover holiday ham? This Ham and Potato Hash is the perfect breakfast to whip up for your post holiday breakfast! This savory breakfast is delicious and so simple to put together. Customize it as you need, and don’t forget to top it with a fried egg!
Leftover Ham and Potato Hash
Leftovers are good, but leftovers turned into something new and delicious are even better! This Ham and Potato Hash is the perfect way to use up leftover ham to create a great post-holiday breakfast that everyone will love. Plus, it’s customizable to use whatever other leftovers you might have on hand.
Top it with a fried egg, or eat it as is. Either way, it’ll be delicious and dare we say it, maybe even better than the actual holiday dinner?
Ingredients for Leftover Breakfast Hash
Here is what we included in our leftover hash.
- Sweet Potato (or leftover roasted potatoes)
- Yellow Potatoes (or leftover roasted potatoes)
- Bell Pepper
- Leftover Ham
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter or Ghee
It’s great if you have leftover roasted potatoes to use this. If you do, you can add those right into the skillet with the ham. If you do not have leftover potatoes, you’ll need to parboil them first, before adding into the skillet.
To parboil the potatoes: Cover the diced potatoes with cold water. Bring them up to a boil and cook until they are just barely tender. Drain, and rinse under cool water.
Have other leftover veggies?
Add in other leftover veggies you might have on hand(think green beans, mushrooms or Brussels) in with the ham.
If you like this breakfast recipe, try these others:
- Sheet Pan Classic Breakfast Bake
- Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos
- Potato Pesto Breakfast Skillet
- 3 Ingredient Breakfast Skillet
- 1 sweet potato (about 10 ounces), diced (or leftover roasted sweet potatoes)
- 1 yellow potatoes (about 10 ounces), diced (or leftover roasted potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1-½ cup leftover ham, diced fine
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4-5 eggs, fried
- Add diced potatoes to a medium pot. Cover with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and let cook until potatoes are just tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Skip this step if using leftover roasted potatoes.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large well seasoned cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add diced ham and cook until it begins to get crispy. Stir in chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper
- Move the mixture to the edges of the pan and melt the butter. Add the potatoes, and cook until starting to get crispy. Flip the potatoes with a spatula and cook on the other side.
- Stir hash together and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve and top with a fried egg, if desired.
- Add in other leftover veggies you might have (think green beans, mushrooms or Brussels) in with the ham.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!