These Freezer Breakfast Burritos are the perfect grab and go breakfast filled with all of your favorite breakfast fixings! They are great when cooking for others or for when you needed a meal prep breakfast ready to go! They’re customizable based off of what you love and easy to make.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos Recipe
Monday mornings come fast after a long weekend, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a healthy, filling breakfast. Cue the make ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos! These burritos can be customized to your liking, frozen ahead of time and heated up for a handheld on-the-go breakfast! The prep doesn’t really take that long, and when you pull one of these from the freezer you’ll be thanking yourself you did it. I stuffed my burrito with home fries, ground Spicy Italian Sausage, bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs and beans for the ultimate protein packed quick and easy breakfast! But feel free to get creative and add your favorite burrito add-ins!
Meal Prep Breakfast Burrito Filling Ideas
The truth is you can put just about anything you like in your meal prep breakfast burritos. The trick is to make sure the filling is too wet, or else it will make the burrito soggy. Here are some of the filling ideas we used for our breakfast burritos, but feel free to get creative.
- Homemade Homefries
- Scrambled Eggs
- Black Beans
How to Store Freezer Breakfast Burritos
The first tip I have to offer is to make sure that when you assemble your burritos that the filling isn’t very hot. Let it cool slightly before packing it. The quicker you can get this to freeze, the better.
Once you’ve assembled and wrapped your burritos in either plastic wrap or aluminum foil, lay them on a sheet pan to flash freeze in your freezer. Once they’re fully frozen, place them in a tightly sealed bag for long term storage. You can store these up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Heat them Up
To reheat, unwrap them and place on a plate with the seam side down. Reheat in a microwave for 2-4 minutes until heated through, or place in a toaster oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
If you like this meal prep recipe, check out these others:
- Paleo Asian Beef and “Rice” Meal Prep
- Meal Prep: 8 Budget Friendly Lunches
- Meal Prep Mediterranean Bowls
- Make Ahead Baked Oatmeal Cups
If you like this breakfast recipe, check out these others:
- Raspberry Oat Breakfast Bars
- Savory Breakfast Sausage Oatmeal
- Sheet Pan Chorizo and Egg Bake
- Loaded Paleo Breakfast Hash
For Home Fries
- 2 tablespoons ghee, butter, or oil of choice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced small
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Optional Burrito Filling
For the Home Fries:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 °F.
- Heat the ghee in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, diced onion, and diced pepper to the skillet. Cook stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and cook, stirring often for about 10 minutes. Add more ghee here if the potatoes are sticking to the pan.
- Add in garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne and mix until well combined.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, tender and golden brown.
- Let cool slightly. Place in a bowl and set aside for assembly.
Cook the Meat and Eggs
- Cook the bacon either on a sheet pan in the oven with the home fries, see this postfor more directions. Or in a skillet.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and scramble. Cook the eggs in a nonstick skillet until fluffy and cooked through.
- For the Italian sausage, heat a medium skillet with ghee or oil of choice. Add the sausage to the pan and cook until fully cooked through and no pink remains. Once cooked through, remove from heat and let cool slightly. Place sausage in a food processor and pulse once or twice. Pour into a bowl.
Lay a tortilla flat. Place home fries, bacon, sausage, black beans, scallions, and avocado in the center of the tortilla. Fold in the sides and roll, making sure to use your fingers to keep in all of the filling while rolling.
To Eat and Store:
Either serve right away or wrap individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil tightly. Let freeze individually on a sheet tray, and once frozen place in a bag for long term storage, up to 3 months.
To Reheat from Frozen:
To reheat, unwrap wrapping and place on a plate with the seam side down. Reheat in a microwave for 3-5 minutes until heated through, or place in a toaster oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!