This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe is an easy weeknight dinner win! This classic American dish comes together quick, with minimal prep and mostly hands-off cooking thanks to the Instant Pot. It’s made using REAL ingredients and is so hearty! It’s paleo and Whole30 friendly (if served without noodles), dairy and gluten free and a delicious meal the whole family will love!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Honestly I’d never tried beef stroganoff before making this recipe, but I’m glad I finally did because it’s such a delicious and easy dinner! It’s one of the most popular google dinner searches, so we knew it was time to make a cleaned up version that didn’t require any canned soup or junky ingredients. Our version here is dairy-free (made creamy with coconut cream) and option to serve it with gluten-free noodles or over zoodles (we recommend sweet potato, butternut squash or carrot zoodles).
We love the rich and hearty flavor to the sauce! We use paprika, mustard and tomato paste to add a depth and umami flavor to the sauce, that is then thickened up with a bit of arrowroot and rounded out with our non-dairy choice of coconut cream. You can’t taste the coconut in it either!
Our choice for beef was to use a sirloin steak, but if you can’t find that some other options would be a chuck roast or top round. Just make sure to slice it thinly!
How do you make beef stroganoff in the Instant Pot?
We opted to make this Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot because it makes for really tender meat thanks to the pressure cooker and largely hands-off cooking after you’ve sauteed the aromatics and built up the flavor. So while the recipes says it takes about an hour to make, most of this time it is hands-off cooking so you can be getting other tasks done while dinner is cooking.
To make in the Instant Pot:
- Saute your aromatics (we use mushrooms, onions and garlic) and beef
- Add your base flavors in (we use paprika, mustard and tomato paste to build up a nice rich flavor)
- Deglaze with liquid and cook in high pressure!
- After you release the pressure we add in a thickener and creaminess (coconut cream) to finish it off.
- Serve with gluten-free pasta or noodles and ENJOY!
If you like this Instant Pot recipe, check out these others:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Broth
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Pasta
- Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Lemon Vegetable Risotto
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil, divided
- 10 ounces (about 10) cremini or baby bella mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 pounds beef sirloin (see note), thinly sliced about 2" long
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup bone broth or beef broth.
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 12 ounces cooked gluten free noodles or zoodles, for serving
- Set a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot (or other electric pressure cooker) to saute. Once hot add 1 tablespoon oil and cook mushrooms until all the liquid has evaporated about 7 minutes.
- Add remaining oil and add onion, cooking until beginning to soften about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and beef and stir, cooking for 2 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add spices, tomato paste, and mustard and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Shut off the saute and add red wine vinegar, fish sauce, broth and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 12 minutes and allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl a slurry by mixing together 2 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of arrowroot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the slurry to the sauce at a time, until it has reached the consistency you desire. Add frozen peas (if using), coconut cream and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasoning.
- Serve over gluten-free noodles or zoodles.
- If you can't find a sirloin steak you can also use top round or a chuck roast.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!