These melt-in-your-mouth Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs are SO delicious and SO impressive but are SO easy to put together! And thanks to the Instant Pot, the braising time is slashed without sacrificing any of the flavor. This decadent dinner is naturally Paleo and Keto and Whole30 friendly and when paired with a side of quick cauli-mash will be the hit of the dinner table!
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
Back in the summer when we were brainstorming recipes that we wanted to create for the upcoming Fall season, we knew that some new Instant Pot recipes were a MUST. And when thinking of warm, hearty and comforting food, braised meat is the first that comes to mind! While I have a version of Short Ribs in my cookbook, this flavor-packed Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs recipe is becoming a quick favorite. It has all the flavor of meat that has been braised for hours but in a fraction of the time thanks to the Instant Pot. We paired this heart dish with a side of quick cauli-mash and we’re glad we did.
We opted to use boneless beef short ribs in our recipe, but this recipe will work with bone-in ribs with a slightly longer cooking time (increase by 10 minutes). The resulting sauce that cooks with the short ribs is so decadent. It is full of umami flavor thanks to the sear on the meat, the balsamic vinegar and coconut sugar (If you are restricted by sugar simply leave it out).
How do you cook short ribs in the Instant Pot?
It’s so simple!
- You sear the meat using the saute function until it’s nice and browned to deepen the flavor of the resulting sauce.
- Add some aromatics to the pot (we use shallots, garlic, carrots and rosemary).
- Deglaze the pot with liquid (we use wine and beef broth, but you can use all beef broth)
- Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes, with a natural release for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the sauce further, adding the optional thickener if desired.
- Serve with cauli-mash and enjoy! (Note: It’s even better the next day, so you can make this ahead of time if you want and reheat when ready to serve)
For this recipe we used these tools:
- Instant Pot
- Steaming Basket
- Hand Blender
If you like this Instant Pot Recipe, check out these others:
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (Instant Pot or Baked)
- Turkey Chili (Stove-Top or Instant Pot)
- Paleo Mongolian Beef
- Paleo Chicken and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Lemon Vegetable Risotto
- Buffalo Chicken Chili
For Beef Short Ribs:
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 sprig of rosemary
- 1 cup of red wine (see note) or sub for extra beef broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (Omit for Keto or Whole30)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot (optional)
For Beef Short Ribs:
- Season the short ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- In a 6 or 8 quart Instant pot, press the saute function to heat up the pot. Once hot, add oil.
- Sear beef, about 5-7 minutes per side, in batches if necessary. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add shallots, garlic, carrots, rosemary to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add red wine, beef broth to the pot and scrape up and browned bits from the bottom to deglaze the pan. Shut off the saute function. Return the beef to the pot and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- When finished, use the natural release for 10 minutes and then use the quick release function to release the remaining pressure.
- Once the pin has dropped, open the pressure cooker and remove the meat from the pot and set aside. If there is a large amount of fat sitting on top of the liquid, skim off and discard (see note).
- Add balsamic vinegar and coconut sugar (if using) and turn on the saute function to reduce the liquid for 10 minutes.
- If you want to thicken up the sauce: add 2 teaspoons arrowroot to a small bowl. Take out 2 tablespoons of the sauce from the pot and whisk it in the arrowroot to make a slurry. Pour the slurry back in to the pot and continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Return meat to the pot and let cool briefly.
- Serve with cauli-mash (recipe below).
- Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water and place in a steamer basket and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and place in cauliflower florets, cover the pot and steam until nice and tender, about 12-14 minutes.
- In a bowl, using a hand blender, (or food processor) blend steamed cauliflower with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oil and until fully combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- If using red wine make sure that you are using a red wine that is tastes good! Whenever cooking with wine you always want to make sure that they wine tastes good enough to drink because the flavors can shine through!
- If you are cooking this ahead of time it is much easier to remove the fat once the sauce has cooled, so feel free to skip this step and wait for it to chill. If you are serving it fresh and wish to remove excess fat skim it off gently with a spoon.
- We opted to use boneless beef short ribs in our recipe, but this recipe will work with bone-in ribs with a slightly longer cooking time (increase by 10 minutes).
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!