This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Bright and comforting, this Lemon Chicken and Rice Skillet is an easy and delicious one-pan dinner that comes together in a pinch. This weeknight dinner is packed with flavor, and has all of the protein, carbs, and healthy fats you want for a well-rounded meal! Trust us, you’re going to want to make this one.
One Pan Lemon Chicken Rice Dinner
This Lemon Chicken and Rice Skillet is a hearty, bright, and comforting weeknight dinner option. I’m all about easy meals these days, and I love that this one consists largely of unattended cooking and is made all in one pot for a simpler clean up! It is dairy-free and gluten-free and is bound to be a new beloved family favorite.
This meal is all about the simple, but flavorful ingredients!
- Chicken Breasts
- Garlic + Onions
- Chicken Broth
- Long Grain White Rice
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper and Spices
Looking for a substitution? Here are some ways to twist up this recipe if you need to, that we know of.
Chicken: We’re calling for chicken breasts here, but you could just as easily switch to chicken thighs.
White Rice: This recipe is specific in terms of how long it needs to cook and how much liquid is added when using uncooked long-grain white rice. If you wanted to use any other type of rice (such as short grain or brown rice) you will need to adjust the cooking time and amount of liquid added.
Can leftover cooked rice be used?
Technically if you wanted to use cooked rice for this skillet dish, it would be a different recipe. This recipe is based on the fact that the rice needs to absorb a certain amount of liquid. However, if you wanted to give it a go with cooked rice, you could try to omit the added broth here, and just saute until the rice is warmed through. It would basically turn into more of a stir-fry!
Can cauliflower rice be used?
Similar to using cooked rice (see above), cauliflower rice could be used, but it would turn it into more of a stir fry. And you really won’t need any added liquid.
How to Make a Skillet Rice Dish
We love weeknight meals made all in one pan! It makes for easy cleanup and if we’re lucky, hands-off cooking. This dish requires a few ingredients to be sauteed up first (namely the chicken and the aromatics) but then the rest of the cooking time is hands-off.
The rice will cook all together with the rest of the ingredients, transforming the dish into a comforting rice dish with flavorful and tender chicken.
How to Tell When the Rice is Done
All burners work differently, so you may have to cook the rice a little longer, or make other minor adjustments. We recommend checking the rice at the 30-minute mark to check that the rice is no longer hard. If the rice is al dente, let it cook longer. The rice will continue to cook and absorb liquid for a few more minutes after the heat has shut off, but you want to ensure it is just nearly cooked all the way before pulling it off the heat.
If the rice isn’t cooked but all the liquid is absorbed, you could add another 1/4 cup of broth or more as needed. Alternatively, if there was too much liquid left and the rice was done, remove the cap and let the liquid boil off.
If you like this easy weeknight dinner recipes, check out these others:
- How to Make Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Curry Chicken and Vegetables
- One Pan Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice
Lemon Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast diced into 1-1/2 pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Sliced lemon optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. One hot add garlic and onions and cook, until beginning to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in chicken and cook until no pink remains on the outside, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, rice, parsley, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to the lowest setting. Add sliced lemon on top of rice, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is fluffy and no broth is left.
- Serve with additional pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley.