Another Healthy Holiday Recipe for you, and this week it’s a side dish. This sweet potato casserole with candied pecans makes the absolute perfect side dish at your Thanksgiving dinner or at your December holiday party.
Do you want to know the best part? It’s lighter than your typical sweet potato casserole and free of refined sugar! You and your guests won’t feel guilty indulging in this sweet side.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter (or butter substitute)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 3 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
- Optional: sprinkle 1/4 tsp cinnamon & 1/4 tsp coconut palm sugar on top before placing in the oven
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large pot place cubed sweet potatoes and cover with water.
- Cover and let boil for 15 minutes until fork-tender.
- Drain water, add remaining ingredients (honey/maple, butter, spices), and mash using an immersion blender or a potato masher.
- Spread evenly into your lightly sprayed casserole dish.
- In a small pan, add 1 cup pecans and heat for 30 seconds over medium heat, add maple syrup or honey and mix to coat all pecans, once boiling, remove from heat, and let cool spread out on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or your baking liner.
- Cover the sweet potato mixture with pecans, add optional sprinkle of cinnamon/coconut palm sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm!
- Taking this dish with you? Pack it in this neat hot and cold carrier.
- Don't forget your serving utensils!
I was selected by American Express as to help educate consumers about how to use Membership Rewards points. As such I was paid for my services, but all gift choices selected and opinions about the gifts and American Express are my own. http://t.cmp.ly/68ee5b1be62ebaeb5a
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!