Sun-Dried Tomato and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Looking for a new way to serve chicken on a weeknight? This Sun-dried Tomato and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast is perfect for any night of the week. It’s savory and baked just right! It’s elegant but truly simple to do!
Sun-dried Tomato and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
We love chicken, but sometimes get bored with cooking it the same old way. This umami-packed stuffed chicken breast recipe is definitely a way to spice up your weeknight dinner without adding in much extra work! This dish has the wow effect while being totally approachable. Despite how it sounds, stuffing a chicken breast is actually quite simple, especially when you do it the way this recipe does. Eseentialy you mix together a stuffing using sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes then butterfly open the chicken breasts, stuff it and bake! We skip the step of rolling the chicken up, and instead just sandwich the stuffing inside. But don’t worry, we’re walking you through step-by-step how to do it below in case that sounds intimidating. Did I mention this dish is also gluten-free, Paleo and Whole30 friendly? So what are you waiting for? Let’s make it!
- Chicken Breast
- Artichoke Hearts
- Oil-Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
How to Stuff a Boneless Chicken Breast
It may sound complicated to stuff a chicken breast, but we’ve simplified the steps to make this a super easy and approachable way to add flavor to a weeknight dinner staple.
- Pound out the chicken to an even thickness, though this is optional. A small step you can take that goes a long way to making perfect chicken is to pound out the meat to an even thickness with a meat mallet (or a rolling pin). This ensures the chicken is perfectly cooked throughout, instead of having some parts of the chicken overcooked because they are thinner. We realize this is an extra step though, but it’s an optional one. If you have the time, go for it!
- “Butterfly” the chicken breast. This means to slice the chicken horizontally through the middle just up to the edge and then open it up like a book.
- Salt it. Now that the chicken breast is opened up, go ahead and lightly salt and pepper the chicken. If you have the time, let the chicken sit like this for 10 minutes. Even that short amount of time will make a difference in the flavor fo the chicken.
- Next add in the stuffing. This stuffing recipe makes just about enough for the 4 chicken breasts, so divide the mixture into quarters and place it directly in the middle of the chicken.
- Secure the chicken. Close the chicken back up. All you have to do is fold it over. Stick toothpicks through the chicken breast to seal it.
- Lightly oil and season the tops of the breasts. Drizzle or spray a touch of olive oil over the tops of the chicken breasts and lightly season with salt and pepper.
What to goes well with a chicken and sun dried tomato recipe?
These flavors are a bit on the tuscan Italian side! You can pair this dish with a light pasta, mashed potatoes or cauliflower, or rice! It also would go well with a nice big side salad or greens! Here are some recipes that will pair nicely with it:
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- How to Make Cauliflower Rice
- Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes (Paleo + Vegan)
- Easy Cucumber Salad with Lots of Herbs!
Looking for more recipes with sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes, check these out:
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Salad
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken (Paleo & Keto)
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad with No Mayo!
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Artichokes and Asparagus
Sun-dried Tomato and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
- Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.
- Mix together garlic, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese to a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts on steady flat surface. We recommend pounding out the chicken to an even thickness by place the chicken between two sheets of parchment or plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound each to an even thickness. This is an optional step, however!
- Place your hand on top of the chicken breast and using a sharp knife, slice through the chicken horizontally, stopping about ½ an inch from the end. Open up the chicken breast so they are flat and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into quarters and place it directly in the middle of the chicken. Fold the chicken back together and secure closed with toothpicks.
- Bake in the middle rack until the chicken is nearly finished cooking through, to 160ºF, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and loosely cover the chicken with aluminum foil to let it rest for 5-10 minutes while it finishes cooking.
- Slice and serve with your favorite sides.
March 17, 2020
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!