Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes (Paleo + Vegan)
These Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes taste just like the classic version. They are everything you want in that comforting and warm side dish, but lightened up to include chicken broth and olive oil. They’re soft and creamy and a cinch to make. Plus they’re Whole30, paleo, and vegan friendly.
Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes
Is there any better comfort food than classic mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes are a perfect side to serve along side hearty meals, like roasted turkey or fried chicken. It traditionally relies on heavy cream or milk, and lots of butter to get its creamy flavor. For our lightened-up version we use chicken broth and extra virgin olive oil to make these dairy free, without compromising on the flavor or texture. Honestly, nobody will no the difference! Plus these are whole30, vegan and paleo friendly.
Ingredients for Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
- Yellow or Red Potato
- Vegetable or Chicken broth
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Scallion (for garnish)
How to Make Mashed Potatoes Without Milk
Typically mashed potato recipes call for some type of milk or cream, along with butter. Our paleo and dairy free mashed potatoes instead rely on veggie or chicken stock, and olive oil for all the flavor. You could also substitute in some almond milk or oat milk, or really any milk you typically use in place of dairy milk.
To make the dairy free mashed potatoes simply:
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Add in the chicken broth and olive oil in the same sauce pan mash together with the potatoes until smooth. Add salt, pepper, onion powder and stir to combine.
- Serve hot with scallion garnish and optional gluten free gravy.
If you like this classic Thanksgiving recipe, check out these others:
- Kale and Sweet Potato Stuffed Turkey Breast
- Healthier Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Healthy Creamed Spinach (Made Without Cream!)
- Easy Gluten-Free Gravy
Looking for another main dish to serve with the mashed potatoes, check out these:
- Fried Chicken (Hot or Not) + Air Fry, Baking, and Fry Instructions
- Skirt Steak with Italian Salsa Verde
- The Best Baked BBQ Chicken Breast
- Skillet Pork Chops with Apples and Onions
Classic Mashed Potatoes (Paleo + Vegan)
These Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes taste just like the classic version. They are everything you want in that comforting and warm side dish, but lightened up to include chicken broth and olive oil. They're soft and creamy and a cinch to make. Plus they're Whole30, paleo, and vegan friendly.
- Place potatoes in a medium sauce pan and cover with cold water 1" above. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium-high heat and cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Place chicken broth and olive oil in the same sauce pan and heat until hot. Place the potatoes back in the sauce pan with the heated chicken broth and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add salt, pepper, onion powder and stir to combine.
- Serve hot with scallion garnish.
- We recommend yukon gold or red bliss potatoes here and like the skin left on for these mashed potatoes, but feel free to peel if you prefer to leave them out. It's important to keep the dice on the potatoes about the same size so they cook evenly.
July 24, 2018
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!