This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A refreshing Watermelon Salad made with a unique basil and ginger dressing that is bound to be the hit of the BBQ table spread. It’s simple to make, and optionally dairy-free.
Refreshing Watermelon Salad
This watermelon salad is packed with the perfect warm weather flavors: Sweet watermelon drizzled with delicious olive oil, garnished with toasted almonds, mint, sliced red onion, and a sweet basil and ginger dressing. This will be a BBQ hit all summer long.
Taking less than 15 minutes to make, this is the best warm weather salad and the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Watermelon Salad Ingredients
- Olive Oil + Salt + Pepper
- Slivered Almonds
- Feta Cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- Red Onion
- Fresh Herbs
- Bacon (optional)
- Fresh Ginger
How to Pick a Ripe Watermelon
It can be tricky to tell when the watermelon is ripe! For the best tasting watermelon, buy it locally at a farmer’s market. The farmers always know when the watermelons are ripe, and those are the ones they are bringing to market. If you can’t find one locally, pick up the watermelon. It should feel heavy for it’s size, which indicates a lot of moisture. Give it a good whack, it should sound hollow inside. And finally, look for one with a creamy yellow splotch on it. This is the spot where it was laying on the field and the sugar has settled, indicating it’s ripeness.
How Long Will Watermelon Salad Keep?
This salad is best served immediately. If you are preparing ahead of time, omit the herbs and the dressing until just ready to serve.
If you like this summer salad, check out these others:
- Greek Lentil Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Easy Cucumber Salad with Lots of Herbs!
Watermelon Salad with Basil-Ginger Dressing
- 1 medium watermelon cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/3 cup feta cheese omit for dairy-free
- 1/4 small red onion finely sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped or chiffonade
- 4 strips cooked bacon chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil not packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- In a bowl place cubed watermelon. Drizzle olive oil and sea salt over watermelon.
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, toast almonds until golden, but not burned. Let cool.
- If adding, cook bacon using your desired method (our favorite method is baking it). Let cool.
- Assemble the salad by adding your sliced onion, optional bacon, feta, almonds, and mint leaves.
- In a blender, blend dressing ingredients until smooth and drizzle over salad, tasting to ensure you have an amount you desire. If your blender is too large, blend using an immersion blender in a cup.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate if serving later. Best served within a few hours.
I love combining watermelon with a salty component so I know I’d adore this salad. And the photos are so pretty.
Thank you Britt!!!!
Could brown rice syrup or barley malt syrup be substituted for the honey?
This looks so refreshing! I have been wanting to try watermelon in a more savory application.
It was so fun having dinner with you last night!!
So great meeting you Becky 🙂
This looks so refreshing Lexi, I had a watermelon and feta salad before but not one with this amazing sounding dressing!
Thanks my friend! Hope NYC is treating you well 🙂
That Basil Ginger Dressing is EVERYTHING I want in life! Hello refreshing!
I wanna meet Sarah FITTTTTT. Confession. I’ve never heard of watermelon salad, but Davida said it’s a thing. So this thing needs to happen in my kitch. Meow.
It’s totally a thing!! She’s awesome 🙂
I think this may be my new favorite recipe from LCK! It’s so creative and out of the box from standard BBQ sides. I cannot wait to try it!
THANK YOU BEAUTIFUL!
<3 <3 Thank you love!