Chunky Monkey Baked Oats
Who doesn’t like cake for breakfast? These Chunky Monkey Baked Oats are healthy “treat” you can eat for breakfast (or dessert). It’s made with blended oats and banana and then baked up with chocolate and nuts for that classic chunky monkey feel.
Chocolate and Banana Baked Oats
I don’t think anybody is going to argue that having cake for breakfast is a bad idea when it’s made out of such wholesome ingredients like banana and oats! This Chunky Monkey Baked Oats recipe is simple to prepare and a treat you can feel good about. A tender oat cake is made up of blended oats and banana, and studded with chocolate and walnuts. Serve it warm right from the oven for a super delicious start to your day. This recipe is naturally gluten-free, and easily made dairy-free too!
We Love Baked Oats!
We are all about recipes using oats, and after a viral Tiktok trend this past year, we’ve been on the baked oats bandwagon too! Previously we’ve made plenty of oat recipes using oat flour (like these Gluten Free Apple Muffins or this Gluten Free Banana Bread), but this one is a bit different since it starts off with whole oats, and then it is blended with the rest of the ingredients.
Ingredients for Rocky Road Baked Oats
Here is an overview of the ingredients we use in this recipe (the full recipe and amounts are listed below in the recipe):
- Old-Fashioned Oats or Quick Oats (make sure to grab gluten-free certified oats if you have a gluten allergy)
- Milk (feel free to use whatever milk you typically buy)
- Baking Powder
- Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Walnuts
Can You Make this Without the Egg?
Yes! We tested this with a flax egg, made from 1 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 2 tablespoons almond milk or oat milk. The baked oatmeal came out virtually the same.
How to Customize It
You can get quite creative with this recipe if you leave out the chunky monkey flavors and swap in some others that you have on hand! You could add fruit, other chocolate, different nuts and so many other combinations of ingredients to make baked oats. Feel free to play around and get creative with it!
Best Blender for this Recipe
This recipe makes enough for two servings, which means it’s a small batter. If your blender has a large basin, it might have trouble blending it together unless you have a tamper. However, a high-speed blender (I love my Vitamix!) with a tamper should handle it just fine.
How to Make Chunky Monkey Baked Oats
Making these baked oats is really simple. To make them:
- Add the baked oats ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Just make sure to add them in in the order listed in the recipe.
- Stir in the ingredients to make the baked oats chunky monkey style.
- Grease two 8-10 ounce ramekins and pour in the batter.
- Bake until the oat cakes have puffed up and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Can You Make it in a Microwave?
We haven’t tested making it in a microwave. But if you wanted to try, we’d suggest trying it for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes. Just be sure to use a microwave-safe container.
Can You Double the Recipe?
Yes, you can double or triple the recipe and bake it in a larger container. You can double or triple all of the ingredients, except the baking powder. For a double or triple batch, use just 1 tablespoon baking powder.
How to Store Baked Oats
If you have any leftovers, the baked oats will keep covered at room temperature for about 3 days. You can eat it at room temperature or briefly heat it back up.
If you like this baked oat recipe, check out these other oat recipes:
- PB+J Baked Oatmeal
- Rocky Road Baked Oats
- Gluten Free Apple Oat Muffins
- How To Make The BEST Baked Oatmeal Cups
Chunky Monkey Baked Oats
Who doesn’t like cake for breakfast? These Chunky Monkey Baked Oats are healthy sweet you can eat for breakfast (or dessert). It’s made with blended oats and banana and then baked up with chocolate and nuts for that classic chunky monkey feel.
- Prep Time: 00:05
- Cook Time: 00:25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 medium banana
- 2 tablespoons milk-of-choice (we used oat)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2/3 cup rolled oats or quick oats (see note)
- 1–1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chunks, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease two 8 or 10 ounce oven-safe ramekins.
- Add banana, milk, egg, honey, oats, baking powder, and a pinch of salt to a blender, in that order. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks and nuts until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the greased ramekins and top with additional chocolate and nuts, if desired.
- Bake on the center rack until the baked oats have puffed up and started to pull away from the edge of the ramekin and toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Not all oats are gluten-free, so be sure to look for gluten-free certified oats if you need them. Old-fashioned, rolled oats or quick oats all work here. Steel-cut oats don’t work well in this recipe.
One tablespoon of honey makes it just sweet. If you want you can and an extra tablespoon to make it a bit more sweet like cake.
Want to make this without the egg? We tested this with a “flax egg”, made from 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 2 tablespoons almond milk. The baked oatmeal came out virtually the same. To make the flax egg, add the flaxseed to the milk and let it “gel” together for about 15 minutes before using.
Leftover baked oats will keep at room temperature for about 3 days. You can reheat in a toaster, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 120mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
Keywords: Chunky Monkey Baked Oats
October 20, 2021
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!