Easy Corned Beef Hash
This Easy Corned Beef Hash is the best way to use up leftover corned beef OR the best excuse to make corned beef from scratch! It’s a simple dish that is hearty and comforting, made under 20 minutes with only a handful of ingredients. Top with a fried egg, a splash of hot sauce and this gluten-free and paleo and whole30-friendly breakfast is ready!
Easy Corned Beef Hash
We don’t know what we look forward to more when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day eats, the actual Corned Beef and Cabbage or the subsequent leftover meal that follows: this Easy Corned Beef Hash. It’s such a hearty, comforting breakfast: meat, potato and eggs. It’s such a classic meal and the best part is that the components are mostly already cooked so it’s just a matter of heating them all up together and topping with an egg, if desired. If you don’t have leftover corned beef laying around, trust us this breakfast is totally worth cooking corned beef for.
This is one of those recipes that really is more of a guideline. If you have leftover carrots, or onions or root vegetables that were cooked with your corned beef you can feel free to add those in! This can also work with any other leftover beef you may have, though it won’t have that classic flavor as it does when cooked with the corned beef. If you have leftover roast beef, pot roast or even steak, you can make this work. If you don’t have any leftover potatoes you can cook up some fresh. Just dice up some potatoes and boil for about 12-15 minutes, or until fork tender. They brown better when they are cold, but fresh cooked will work in a pinch.
How do you make corned beef hash from scratch:
- Cook some onions
- Add cooked corned beef and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes undisturbed, and then flip and cook another 5 minutes
- Season with garlic powder and pepper, and add salt if needed.
- Serve with eggs!
Why is corned beef so salty?
We talk extensively about the process for brining your own corned beef here, and then go into details about how to cook it from scratch here. If cooked properly (meaning rinsed really well and cooked in enough water) corned beef shouldn’t be overly salty, but when making corned beef hash you definitely want to taste the dish before adding any additional salt!
If you like this breakfast recipe, check out these others:
- Instant Pot Yogurt (Greek Yogurt Style)
- Instant Pot Coconut Milk Yogurt
- Sheet Pan Classic Breakfast Bake
- Breakfast Fried Rice
- 3 Ingredient Breakfast Skillet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats
- How to Make Sweet Potato Toast
Easy Corned Beef Hash
This Easy Corned Beef Hash is the best way to use up leftover corned beef OR the best excuse to make corned beef from scratch! It's a simple dish that is hearty and comforting, made under 20 minutes with only a handful of ingredients. Top with a fried egg, a splash of hot sauce and this gluten-free and paleo and whole30-friendly breakfast is ready!
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot add oil and onion. Cook until soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add butter to the pan and turn up heat to medium high. Add beef and potato and stir to combine. Then let cook, undisturbed for 5 minutes. Flip over the hash and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes, or until the hash is heated through.
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and serve with hot sauce and a fried egg (if desired)
- This can also work with some other cooked cuts of beef like brisket or pot roast.
- To make fully dairy free feel free to sub in ghee or additional oil in place of the butter.
- If you are using an oven proof skillet you can also crack a few eggs inside of the hash after step 2 and cook under the broiler for a few minutes until the eggs are cooked!
March 14, 2019
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!