This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Simple Syrup Recipe is the perfect way to sweeten cocktails, coffee, tea, and more. It’s naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup and ready in just 5 minutes!
The Easiest Simple Syrup for Cocktails
We can all use a little bit of sweetness in our life…and in our cocktails!
I love making my own simple syrup. You can control what sweetener you’d like to use, and it is truly so easy to make. So if you know you want some cocktails in the next few weeks, make a quick batch of of this simple syrup recipe to have on hand!
This 2-ingredient recipe for simple syrup is the perfect way to add sweetness to all of your favorite cocktails, mocktails, coffee, or tea. Plus, our version is naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup instead of sugar!
First of all… What is Simple Syrup?
Simple syrup is a liquid sweetener made using a mixture of sugar and water.
In its simplest form, it is just that: sugar and water. However, simple syrup can be infused with other flavors from fresh herbs, whole spices, fruit, citrus, and more!
What is the Simple Syrup Ratio?
Traditionally, the simple syrup ratio is equal parts sweetener and water, which is what we’re doing for this recipe.
However, you can play around with the ratio depending on your tastes. Major sweet tooth? Add more sweetener. Prefer a more subtle sweetness? Add more water.
You just need two ingredients to whip up a batch of simple syrup!
- Honey or Maple Syrup: I prefer to use natural sweeteners and I use either honey or maple syrup, but you could also use granulated sugar, brown sugar, or even coconut sugar.
- Water: you can use more or less depending on how sweet you want your simple syrup to be. I make sure to use good filtered water, always!
- Liquid and dry measuring cups
- Funnel (optional): I like to use a funnel to transfer the syrup from the saucepan to a jar. Less chance of spilling!
- Pint jar/mason jar (or anything to store)
How to Make Simple Syrup
This simple syrup recipe takes just 5 minutes to make. There’s a reason it’s called simple syrup!
- Combine and heat: Add the honey or maple syrup and water to a small pot. Turn the heat to medium, and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat.
- Cool and store: Transfer the simple syrup to a heat-proof jar and cool completely, then store in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
You can keep your simple syrup, well, “simple” or you switch things up! Here are a few ideas:
- Flavor with fresh herbs. Simmer it with fresh mint, rosemary, basil, thyme, or even lavender.
- Add some spice. Add in whole spices like ginger, cloves, star anise, or cinnamon sticks.
- Make it fruity. In this gin cocktail I make light raspberry simple syrup.
- Make it citrus. Simmer the syrup with fresh orange, lemon, or lime peel to infuse it with a delicious citrus flavor. Just be sure to strain it out!
- Swap the sweetener. Swap the honey or maple syrup out for regular granulated sugar, brown sugar, or coconut sugar. Keep in mind that different sweeteners will have different flavors.
Just be sure to strain it out if adding any fun add-ins!
How Long Does Simple Syrup Last?
Your homemade simple syrup will last in a pint jar or mason jar in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
How to Use Simple Syrup
You can use your homemade simple syrup to sweeten tea, coffee, or your favorite cocktails. Here are a few of my favorite ways to use simple syrup:
Simple syrup is also not limited to drinks. Use it as a way to add moisture and sweetness coffee or matcha, drizzle it over a bowl of fresh fruit, or add a touch to a smoothie banana coffee smoothie!
How to Make Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- To a small pot add honey or maple syrup and water. Turn on the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Place your simple syrup in a heat proof jar with a tight fitting lid and let cool completely.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.