This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
When you think of making homemade Refried Beans are you intimidated because the name makes it sound really complicated like there is deep frying involved? We’re going to let you in on a secret: making refried beans at home is so simple and well worth the (at most) 10 minutes it takes to make them. They are so much better than anything you can buy at a store pre-made! Our easy refried beans recipe makes a great addition to any Mexican inspired recipe, ranging from a spread in a layer dip, dolloped right on your taco or just dig in with tortilla chips! Oh, and it’s also gluten-free and vegan. Trust us, you need to make this ASAP!
Easy Homemade Refried Beans Recipe
The name refried beans is a little misleading as it makes you think that there is some sort of special deep frying happening twice with beans. But really refried beans means beans cooked twice! Homemade refried beans, with quality ingredients you control, is so much more flavorful and delicious than anything you can get store bought and it’s simply WORTH it to make. Plus, it takes less then 10 minutes! That’s so quick! And most of the ingredients are likely already in your pantry.
What do you need to make it
- 2 tablespoons oil
- chili powder
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 can organic kidney beans or black beans
- water or stock
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- cheddar or cotija cheese, for garnish (optional)
Why we use canned beans
In our refried bean recipe, we start with canned beans. There are a lot of good options for purchasing canned beans that don’t containing additives, so using this option makes homemade refried beans super quick. If you have homemade cooked beans and wanted to use them in this recipe, that is fine. Just make sure that if they have seasoning in them already you may need to adjust the seasoning called for in this recipe. Use about 1-1/3 cup beans (or 15 ounces if you have a scale).
Ways to use this healthy refried beans recipe
If you like this Mexican inspired recipe, check out these others:
- Taco Salad
- 30-Minute Taco Soup
- Crispy Chicken Tacos with Special Sauce
- Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Easy Homemade Refried Beans
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5- ounce can organic kidney beans or black beans rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup water or stock
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup cheddar or cotija cheese for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot add garlic and spices and let cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the beans to the saucepan and ¼ cup water. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and add lime juice. Mash to desired consistency using a potato masher or fork.
- Set aside until ready to use in recipe, or serve as a dip and top with cilantro and cheese.