Everybody should have an easy BBQ sauce recipe that they can use whenever the mood strikes! This super simple Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce contains no refined sugars, is paleo friendly and takes under 20 minutes to put together!
BBQ Sauce Recipe
Homemade BBQ Sauce is surprisingly easy to make once you have the right formula! We love our Sweet & Smoky BBQ sauce because it’s so simple to make and is a great sauce for so many dishes! For this recipe all you need to do is add all of your ingredients to a pot and simmer away!
Usually barbecue sauces you buy at the store are laden with hard-to-pronounce ingredients and so much sugar. While our recipe has sugar because we like it sweet, we opt for a cleaner alternative and use refined-sugar-free coconut sugar. We also skip the addition of ketchup and use a mix of tomato paste and tomato sauce to get the Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce just right.
Paleo Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
What I love most about this recipe is how much control you have over the ingredients for this homemade BBQ sauce. While I’ve got nothing against ketchup, unless you are buying a really high-quality brand there can be some suspect ingredients in it. So we ditched the traditional ketchup and instead use tomato sauce and tomato paste! We’re using coconut sugar here as well, to keep this refined-sugar-free, but if you didn’t have that on hand you could swap it with maple syrup or even organic brown sugar.
- Tomato Sauce (buy organic, if you can!)
- Tomato Paste
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Coconut Sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Mustard
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne (optional)
- Onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
This Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce would be perfect on:
- Pork Carnitas
- Ultimate Fried Chicken
- Oven Baked Coffee Barbecue Pork Ribs
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Breasts
If you like this DIY recipe, check out these others:
- Homemade Mayo
- Crock Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Homemade Meat Sauce Recipe
- Pumpkin BBQ Sauce
- How to Make Cashew Cream
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and mix together until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, and then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the bbq sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 6 months.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!