Today’s Healthy Food Friday feature with American Express is a definitely a favorite of mine. It’s all about COCONUT, and it’s perfect to keep up with this month’s theme inspired by travel. Coconut may remind you of a tropical vacation, a favorite ethnic dish, or a delicious dessert treat. They are a great example of a healthy fat (don’t be afraid of fat, you guys), which is why I am super excited to share it today! No, it’s not a low-calorie snack, but the health benefits out weigh that any day, in my opinion!
Today you get two recipes in one… Coconut shrimp, that makes for the perfect appetizer, AND an orange chia marmalade which can be used as a jam for other savory things, too! Super delicious, and compliment each other perfectly. I’ll be serving these at my next summer get together, for sure.
Coconut Shrimp with Orange Chia Marmalade
- 15 Jumbo shrimps
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt, more as desired
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, more as desired
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, for frying (can omit if baking)
- In a small pot heat orange, lemon, and honey over medium-high heat, until the oranges are soft, about 3-5 minutes. Mix ingredients well and add in chia seeds. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Take off heat, and let cool.
- Transfer to your blender; blend until smooth.
- Let set in the refrigerator until serving.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons coconut flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate small bowl crack an egg and whisk it together.
- In a third bowl combine remaining coconut flour, shredded coconut, salt, and coconut sugar.
- Dip cleaned and dried shrimp into plain coconut flour mix.
- Dip in egg mixture.
- Dredge in shredded coconut mixture, press down to coat.
- Heat coconut oil and working in batches, fry shrimp for about 3-5 minute, or bake for 10 minutes at 400 °F.
- Serve wam.
Store the Orange Chia Marmalade in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
I was selected by American Express to contribute to their Tumblr community. As such I was paid for my services, but all opinions in general and about American express are my own.
Chocolate Coconut Almond Balls from Fannetastic Food
Plantain Cups with Mango, Avocado, and Whipped Coconut Cream from Inspiralized
Salted Coconut Caramel Sauce from An Edible Mosaic
How to Make Coconut Butter from So Let’s Hang Out
Thai Coconut Lime Soup from The View from the Great Island
Pomegranate Coconut Mouse from Pineapple and Coconut
Chocolate Covered Coconut Stuffed Dates from Gourmande in the Kitchen
Lemon Coconut Brownie from Seasonal and Savory
Grilled lamb with Haricot Vert and Coconut Milk Broth from Brooklyn Supper
Dark Chocolate Coconut Treats from Tasty Yummies
Coconut Coffee Ice Cream from Running to the Kitchen
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower Bites from Fork and Beans
What is your all-time favorite coconut recipe?
hashtag with us!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!