Butternut Squash Curry Soup
With just enough spice and sweetness, this creamy Curry Butternut Squash soup is the perfect cold weather soup. It’s optionally dairy-free, flavorful, and can easily be made ahead-of-time making for an easy weeknight dinner option.
Curry Butternut Squash Soup
It’s now officially soup season and I’m here for it! This Curry Butternut Squash soup is is the perfect pairing of sweet and savory with just the right amount of (optional) heat. Honestly, I could eat this all week and be happy. Pair it with a light sandwich or salad for a full meal.
Best part about this soup? It tastes even better the next day, so perfect for make-ahead meals and freezer friendly!
Scroll down for the complete recipe!
- Butternut Squash
- Coconut Sugar
- Butter or Oil
- Curry Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Coconut Milk
- Chicken Bone Broth
Storage and Freezing Tips
This soup makes great leftovers! You can make some for now, and either store in the refrigerator or freezer some for later. It can be frozen for 3-6 months.
You can either freeze in large portions or single portions, depending on who you plan to feed. As in, is it for a future dinner for your whole family, or just as a lunch or quick dinner option.
To freeze it: Let is come to room temperature, before moving to the refrigerator to completely cool. Then transfer to a freezer-safe container or storage bag.
To defrost it: let it sit in the refrigerator overnight if you are able. If you want to heat from frozen, you can place the container in a bowl of warm water until the food can easily pop out of the container. Once you are able to get it out, place the freezer meal contents in a pot with about 1/4 cup water. Cover the pot and cook over medium to medium-low while stirring semi-frequently. Once the entire meal has defrosted, bring the contents up to a boil to make sure it’s fully reheated.
Sides to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup
Serve this soup with a light sandwich, bread or salad! I’m thinking a grilled cheese with apple wouldn’t be out of the question here! Or a quick kale salad with pecans and dried cranberries.
- Curry Butternut Squash Noodles
- Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Spinach and Artichoke Spaghetti Squash
- Pork Chop Dinner with Butternut Squash and Cherries
Watch The Video
Butternut Squash Curry Soup
This creamy butternut squash curry soup has hints of curry and a touch of sweetness, the perfect cold-weather soup! It’s dairy–free, flavorful, and delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, plus more for garnish
- 32 ounces chicken or veggie stock
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot add onion, and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, spices, and sugar and cook until spices become fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add in butternut squash and cook down for 5 minutes, stirring often, until squash is beginning to soften.
- Add coconut milk, chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and let simmer until butternut squash is tender.
- Carefully transfer soup to a stand blender, in batches, and blend together until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender.
- Transfer soup back into the pot and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes, or until the soup has reached your desired consistency.
- Taste soup and adjust seasoning accordingly
- Garnish with salt, pepper, and additional coconut milk.
Soup can be frozen for up to 6 months in the freezer. To freeze let it fully cool, then transfer to a freezer safe container or storage bag. Check out this Freezer Guide for more freezer tips.
December 1, 2015
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!