These easy, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are about to become a new go-to side for holiday entertaining! Creamy, just the right amount of cheese, lightened up, and baked to perfection! My holiday meals will be complete with this creamy au gratin scalloped potato recipe.
How do you make homemade scalloped potatoes?
Have you ever have scalloped potatoes? They are made with thinly sliced potatoes, an epic cheese sauce, and then baked to a crispy-topped perfection. So much flavor! This lightened up version is easy to make and so delicious.
This is a holiday must-make this year and for years to come. It will definitely be on our table! Grab my other healthy and gluten-free Thanksgiving recipes!
Other Thanksgiving Sides:
- Beet Slaw
- Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Perfect Roasted Veggies
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Cranberry Spice Relish
- Easy Pumpkin Soup
- Harvest Salad with Maple Balsamic Dressing
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Apple Cider Sangria
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 2 cups almond milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 °F. Grease a casserole dish with butter and set aside.
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt, pepper, dried thyme and paprika. Cook until onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and whisk in arrowroot for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in milk and bring sauce to a boil. Once at a boil, lower heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese. Lightly salt and pepper potatoes and add them to the sauce. Stir often for 10 minutes, or until potatoes start to soften.
- Transfer potato mixture to a greased casserole dish. Top with more cheddar cheese and bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Top with scallions and parsley or herb of choice and serve warm!
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!