Healthy Creamed Spinach (Made Without Cream!)
This Creamed Spinach is a lightened up version of your favorite holiday classic and is made without cream for the perfect healthy and veggie-packed side for Thanksgiving! Creamy, flavorful and so simple to make! It’s keto friendly and low carb, too! Made in partnership with Pacific Foods.
Healthy Creamed Spinach (Without Cream)
I used to love traditional creamed spinach from this local chicken shop in New York that I grew up with. It was a holiday staple for us, but I knew it was loaded with junk! I am so excited to have made this healthier version!
The star of the show is my new favorite dairy-free milk from Pacific Foods! Their cashew milk is perfectly creamy and so delicious. It’s versatile, plant-based, and made with organic and Fair Trade Certified™ cashews!
The cashew milk makes for such a hearty and creamy sauce without any of the dairy… such a win! We used butter in this, but if you want a dairy-free option, feel free to substitute the butter for extra-virgin olive oil and ditch the cheese!
Watch the video here:
If you like this recipe, try these other Holiday Side Dish Recipes:
- Cranberry Relish
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Gluten-Free Stuffing
- Roasted Veggies
- Cranberry Walnut Roasted Acorn Squash
- Green Bean Casserole
- Spinach Dip Stuffed Mushrooms
Healthier Creamed Spinach
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Original Unsweetened Cashew Beverage (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour
- 2 5-ounce packages of organic spinach
- Optional: 1 cup kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, divided in half
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x9 baking dish with butter or oil of choice and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add arrowroot flour and stir for one minute until well combined.
- Pour in cashew milk. Mix well. Bring sauce to a boil. Once at a boil, lower heat and let simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add in 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (if using) and whisk until cheese has melted, about 30 seconds. **Make sure the mixture has thickened a good amount before adding spinach.
- In batches, add spinach (and kale if using) to the sauce until the greens start to wilt. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Take off heat.
- Pour spinach/kale mixture into a greased 9x9 casserole dish and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese on the top is a golden brown.
- Serve warm!
- Can use dairy-free milk of choice but I do love cashew milk for it's creaminess!
- Can omit kale and use all spinach like I did in the video!
- Make this whole30 compliant: Use ghee or extra-virgin olive oil instead of the butter and omit the cheese.
This post is sponsored by Pacific Foods. All thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own! I love the integrity of their products and think you’ll love them too. Thank you for continuing to support LCK and the brands I work with!
November 13, 2017
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!