This Grilled Chicken and Vegetables recipe with Tomato Vinaigrette is loaded with perfectly grilled chicken, tons of grilled veggies (whatever vegetables you wish, really), and a delicious tomato-based vinaigrette dressing. It’s the perfect way to throw together dinner without turning the oven on!
Grilled Chicken and Vegetables with Tomato Vinaigrette
Grilled veggies, perfectly grilled chicken, and my favorite dressing… Dinner is SERVED! The summer is great for so many reasons but one of my favorites is because of the abundance of vegetables available right from the farm. This salad is the best example I know of a summer vegetable bounty. I love how the grilled chicken and veggies are tied together with this savory tomato vinaigrette. This meal is totally customizable based on what vegetables are available to you and is sure to be a new family favorite.
Tips for Grilling Chicken
- Marinate your meat! Any meat that has had a change to be infused with flavor will taste better and be juicier (thanks to the addition of salt).
- Prep your grill: Make sure your grill is preheated and that the grates are clean! You want to make sure the grill has come up to the proper temperature. Cleaning the grates will ensure your chicken doesn’t stick. Right before you cook you can rub a little oil on your grates as well!
- Cook over indirect heat: While you want your grill to be preheated you do not want to cook over direct flame. Cooking over indirect flame will ensure the chicken doesn’t burn before it is cooked through inside.
- Cover your grill! Covering your grill will make sure the grill stays hot and that your food cooks quicker.
- Use a thermometer! Sure there are plenty of other tricks to figure out if your chicken is properly cooked, but the most fool proof is to use an instant read thermometer. You want it to read 165º in the thickest part of the chicken.
Can I make it without a grill?
Yes! While we love the charred smoky taste of the grill, this dish would still be perfectly acceptable on a grill pan inside of even if you need to, in a regular skillet! Do what works for you, either way a nice marinated juicy piece of chicken will be delicious with all these veggies and tomato vinaigrette.
If you like this grilling recipe, check out these others:
- Loaded Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Herb Sauce
- Garlic and Lime Marinated Flank Steak
- Grilled Salmon and Shrimp Scampi
- Bruschetta Chicken
If you like this chicken and veggie recipe, check out these others:
- Chopped Antipasto Salad with Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Artichokes and Asparagus
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken (Paleo & Keto)
For the chicken
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosmary
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Big pinch of fine sea salt
For the veggies
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the Tomato Vinaigrette
- Prepare grill.
- Toss chicken in olive oil and spices, set aside. You can leave up to 30 minutes, or longer in there refrigerator.
- Cut veggies and toss in oil and salt, set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts on one side of the grill and cook 8 minutes on each side, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- On the other side place a layer of greased tin foil and place the veggies on top. Cook veggies until desired softness, and cook chicken until fully cooked
- Make the dressing by combining ingredients in your high-speed blender and blending until smooth.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Slice chicken. Serve veggie and chicken warm over romaine lettuce and serve with tomato dressing.
- Can substitute canned tomatoes, if fresh is not available
- This recipe was originally published in August 2014, and updated and republished in August 2019.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!