Garlic and Lime Marinated Flank Steak
Ready for delicious, flavorful, and JUICY STEAK? This super easy garlic and lime marinated grilled flank steak recipe infuses tons of flavor and results in a super tender piece of meat! Cooked perfectly on the grill every single time!
Easy Grilled Flank Steak Recipe
Grilling season is HERE! And so are easy dinners that don’t require a lot of ingredients or prep work. But we still want all that flavor, right?! Enter in this Garlic and Lime Marinated Flank Steak. It has only 5 ingredients and takes just barely 15 minutes of hands on prep and cook time! This marinade is a favorite because it’s so easy to put together but really packs a punch of yum.
Why Flank Steak if the Best
Flank steak is a tougher, leaner cut of meat that does well when marinated (to help tenderize it) and cooked quickly at a high temperature. It does exceptionally well on the grill and happily takes on many flavors, like this garlic and lime marinade. If prepared correctly, with a tenderizing marinade like this one, flank steak can be a flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth cut of meat. We love this cut of meat because it’s relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
How Long Can it Marinate For?
Marinate this flank steak for at least an hour. If you are really pinched for time, 30 minutes will still give it some flavor and tenderizing. However, the longer you let this marinate, the better off your steak will be. You can leave this up to 12 hours overnight. The steak will change color because of the acid from the lime juice, this is normal! Make sure that you place the steak in a non-reactive bowl such as glass. Non-stainless steel metal will leave a metallic taste in the steak.
What temperature to cook a steak to
- If you like rare steak, stop cooking at 125°F.
- If you like medium-rare steak, stop cooking at about 130°F.
- If you like medium steak, stop cooking at 140°F.
- If you like a well-done steak stop cooking at 150ºF-155ºF.
What does cutting agains the grain mean?
If you look closely you can see that the muscle of the steak generally goes in one direction. In a flank steak it is really easy to see because it’s a tougher cut of meat with more defined muscle fibers. It’s important to cut the grilled steak in the correct direction. By cutting against the grain, you are making the muscle fibers short, therefor resulting in a tender piece of meat.
To cut against the grain: cut the steak in the opposite direction of the muscle fibers. If the grain goes from right to left, cut from the top to the bottom. If possible, cut at a diagonal.
Where we like to get flank steak:
I add flank steak monthly or every two months, in my ButcherBox and they are the best quality!
Each month, ButcherBox curates a one-of-a-kind selection of the healthiest, tastiest meats, humanely raised and free of antibiotics and hormones. Or you can customize your box and select your favorite cuts and get 20% more meat.The price works out to less than $6.00/meal and shipping is always free. You can also space it out so it’s not every 4 weeks, too! ButcherBox delivers your meat for the month, saves you money, and is the best quality!
- Get FREE bacon
- FREE Shipping
- $15 OFF!
Try it today and get this amazing deal!
Serve this Flank Steak with:
- Easy Cucumber Salad with Lots of Herbs!
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob with Southern Spicy Butter
- Gluten-Free Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Greek Three Bean Salad [VIDEO]
If you like this grilling recipe, check out these others:
- Loaded Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Herb Sauce
- Grilled Salmon and Shrimp Scampi
- Grilled Mango Chicken with Strawberry Mango Salsa
- Steak Salad with Cherry Salsa
Garlic and Lime Marinated Flank Steak
This super easy garlic and lime marinated grilled flank steak recipe infuses tons of flavor and results in a super tender piece of meat.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 13 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Gluten-free, paleo, whole30
- 1 lb. flank steak, sliced in half cross-wise
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large non-reactive bowl add the flank steak, garlic, salt, lime juice and pinch of red pepper flakes. Turn to coat the steak in the marinade, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or up to overnight) turning the steak at least once.
- When read to cook heat the grill, or the grill pan on high. Cook the flank steak on each side until the meat has reached the desired temperature, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Slice agains the grain and serve warm with your favorite sides like cauliflower rice, cucumber salad or a pasta salad!
Alternatively you could also cook this steak in a broiler. Preheat the broiler and broil on high for 4-5 minutes per side, or until it has reached the desired temperature.
- Calories: 454
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 1100mg
- Fat: 18.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrates: 3.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 64g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
June 20, 2019
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!