This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for a flavor-packed dinner that’s going to be a hit? This healthy chopped antipasto salad recipe with chicken is loaded with fresh ingredients and is simple to make! It’s low-carb, paleo-friendly and kind of like eating an Italian sub without the bread (making it gluten-free, too)!
Italian Antipasto Salad Recipe with Grilled Chicken
Let’s talk about what’s in this easy weeknight dinner! To begin, this antipasto salad has the best marinated and grilled chicken. Secondly, this salad has all of the best Italian meats. And finally it has crisp chopped lettuce, fresh veggies and an amazing basil balsamic dressing. Have I sold you yet on eating this salad, or what?! This salad is basically an Italian sub turned into a salad with dinner-worthy chicken added in to make this hearty and delicious. This is to say, this is the perfect salad to bring to potlucks, picnics or cookouts or make it for dinner tonight!
What is antipasto salad?
The word antipasto in Italian specifically refers to a pre-meal course. But in this instance I’m referring to the American style antipasto salad made up of cured meats and veggies. This antipasto salad recipe adds the extra addition of marinated grilled chicken to make it feel a little bit more like dinner. If you want an even easier meal you could skip the chicken and bulk up on the veggies for an even easier no-cook dinner recipe.
What kind of meats are in it?
The grilled chicken is the star of this dish along with classic Italian-American deli meats: pepperoni and salami! However, you can add any other Italian meats that you love. Some other great options are prosciutto, capicola or ham!
Can you make it ahead of time?
You can assemble everything for this salad about 2-3 days ahead of time, setting the dressing aside until ready to serve! Therefor, this hearty salad is a great meal prep option as well! You can make a big batch and pack some for the work week ahead.
If you like this hearty salad, check out these others:
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad with No Mayo!
- Gluten-Free Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Grilled Caesar Salad With Blackened Shrimp
- Steak Cobb Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Spicy Shrimp and Citrus Salad
Chopped Antipasto Salad with Chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 cups chopped romaine lettuce about 1 large head
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni of choice
- 1/2 cup chopped salami of choice
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella chopped (omit for dairy-free)
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients for chicken, and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or up to 6 hours.
- In a small bowl to add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, italian seasoning and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To a large bowl or platter add salad ingredients.
- Prepare your grill, or heat a grill pan to medium-high heat and cook chicken, about 4-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of you chicken, or until fully cooked through to 165ºF.
- Let chicken sit for a few minutes, and then dice into bite sized pieces.
- Drizzle dressing on salad and toss to combine.
- Place cooked chicken on top of antipasto salad and serve immediately.
This salad looks phenomenal! Loving all the unique flavors you added – salad perfection!
I made this last night and we loved it! I did some pickled/marinated red onion to include which was awesome!
Made this tonight and loved it! Another Lexi’s Clean Kitchen favorite. Thanks for this awesome recipe!
I am SO glad 🙂
This is great! Healthy, fresh, and delicious.