This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Bound to be a hit at your next party, this Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip has all that creamy flavor without any dairy. This paleo, vegan and Whole30 friendly appetizer is simple to put together and nobody will know this isn’t the classic version.
Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
Is there anything better than Spinach and Artichoke Dip? It is such a classic appetizer that everyone loves. We wanted to update it to make it a bit more healthy so we took all the flavors to create a nutrient-dense dip that is so creamy and delicious without any actual cream!
We did leave an option to top it with cheese and broil it, but the dip itself is so flavorful it won’t be missed if you need to leave it off for a totally dairy-free dip.
This crowd favorite is perfect for parties, or for an appetizer for a night in. It’s simple to make, made with mostly pantry staples and can even be made ahead of time (no more than a day) and reheated.
- Olive Oil
- Frozen Spinach
- Canned Artichokes
- Salt and Pepper
- Cashew Cream
- Cheddar Cheese (optional, omit for dairy-free)
How to Make Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip without Dairy
To make this dish free from any dairy, we turned to cashew cream. Cashew cream is simply soaked cashews that are blended until they are smooth and creamy. It’s a great replacement for heavy cream or in some recipes cream cheese. It can be used for both savory or sweet recipes! We’ve used in so many different dishes, and it’s our number one choice to replace dairy where it fits.
We left it optional to add a bit of cheese on top of the dish to get that traditional spinach and artichoke dip feel, but you won’t miss it too much if you omit it to make this dish totally dairy-free.
What to Serve with this Dip
Serve this dip with crackers (homemade or store-bought), tortilla chips, and cut up veggies!
- Roasted Eggplant Dip
- 7 Layer Taco Dip
- Jalapeño Popper Dip (Options for Dairy and Dairy-Free)
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Baked Hummus Dip
Storing Your Spinach Dip
Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3-4 days!
Other Spinach and Artichoke Ideas:
- Spinach and Artichoke Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Chicken
- Spinach Dip Stuffed Mushrooms
- Healthy Creamed Spinach (Made Without Cream!)
SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP
- 5 oz. frozen spinach thawed
- 1 15 oz. can artichokes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cashew cream*
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, optional (omit for dairy-free)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 tso black pepper
- Serve with homemade crackers
- In a medium size pot heat oil and garlic.
- over medium-low heat. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook until softened about 7 minutes.
- Add in salt, black pepper, pepper flakes, artichokes and spinach and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cashew cream.
- Remove from heat and add in spices and cashew cream
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and pulse until coursely chopped.
- Taste and adjust spices and salt as desired
- If adding cheese, transfer dip to a oven-safe baking dish, layer with cheese and broil until cheese begins to bubble.
- Serve hot with crackers, tortilla chips and vegetable crudité.
- To make cashew cream, check out this post.
- This dip can be made up to 1 day ahead of time. Reheat in an oven-safe dish, covered, at 350 degrees until warmed through.
- This recipe was originally published in 2015, and rephotographed and republished in 2019.