This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These dreamy Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers are SO GOOD! We use leftover rice and add in thinly sliced steak, mushrooms, peppers and of course, cheese. They’re a family friendly dinner that will leave everybody happy and are a great dish to prep ahead of time!
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers
After testing The BEST Rice Ever recipe a few weeks back, we were left with mounds of leftover rice to contend with. We could only eat it for dinner so much, so we set out to make a few leftover rice recipes. The first was this easy Breakfast Fried Rice recipe and then came along these Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers, and we’re so glad they did. They are exactly what you think you are: bell peppers stuffed with thinly sliced steak, mushrooms, onions, cheese and leftover rice. They are also delicious.
What we love about stuffed peppers is that while they take a few pre-cook steps of getting the meat and veggies soft, the bulk of the cooking time is hands-off in the oven, and they are a great make ahead dish. You can either prep the whole thing ahead of time and bake when ready, or you can cook the stuffed peppers entirely and use them for meal prep dinner or lunch.
Do You Cook the Meat before Stuffing Peppers?
Yes! As with most stuffed peppers recipes, everything is precooked before going into the stuffed peppers, except the bell peppers themselves.
Can These be Made Low Carb?
Yes! If you prefer to make these Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers Keto friendly you can use uncooked cauliflower rice. Everything else in the recipe will stay the same.
What Goes Good as a Side Dish with Stuffed Peppers?
We feel that this stuffed bell peppers recipes is a whole meal in itself because it has the added rice to the filling, but if you were looking to serve it alongside something a salad would pair well!
If you like this dinner recipe, check out these others:
- Sheet Pan Marinated Steak Tips with Veggies
- Roasted Chicken Dinner
- One Pan Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice
- Salmon and Veggies En Papillote
Watch the video:
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1-½ lb steak shaved (see note)
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced (about 4-5)
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1-½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup leftover white rice
- 1 cup 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare peppers: Remove the top 1” portion of the pepper, discard the stem and slice any usable pieces from the top portion and set aside. Scrape out the ribs and seeds and discard. Place peppers upright in a baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add oil and sear steak for 5 minutes, stirring until fully cooked through. Remove from pan and place in a large bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add mushrooms. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add sliced onion and peppers, salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile to the bowl add the rice, and ¾ cup cheese. Once done add cooked veggies and mix until fully combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared peppers. Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for bake for 40 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Remove from oven and preheat broiler. Divide cheese on top of peppers and put under broiler for 3 minutes until bubbly and brown.
- Serve immediately or cool completely and store for meal prep.