Gluten Free Mini Waffles with Cinnamon Apple Topping
These Gluten Free Mini Waffles are so dang cute, and delicious. Top them with a simple caramelized Cinnamon Apples and they’re out-of-this-world delicious. These mini waffles are made gluten-free, paleo friendly and refined-sugar free for a breakfast you can feel good about!
Mini Waffles with Cinnamon Apples
These Mini Waffles are the perfect kid-friendly breakfast or treat, but adults will love them just as much. The best part: they are freezer friendly for a quick morning meal. Make a batch now and have breakfast or a mid-day treat all week (or month) long! Top them with this seasonal and delicious caramelized cinnamon apples OR make them churro style by dipping them in cinnamon sugar. You wouldn’t know these waffles were made without flour and they’re a cinch to put together using only one bowl. They are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
How to Make Mini Waffles
What I love most about this recipe is that it’s made all in one bowl! Start by whisking together all of the wet ingredients and then add in the dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined. Because there is no gluten here, there is no worry about the waffles being tough from overmixing.
Once you’ve mixed the batter, heat up your waffle and make sure to spray well with a high-heat cooking spray! To make them mini add in 1 tablespoon of batter at a time. If your waffle iron makes 1 large waffle you may be able to add 1-3 tablespoons of batter spaced far apart to make the mini waffles.
How to Freeze Waffles
You can serve the waffles immediately, or let it cool completely and freeze. To freeze them place them flat on a sheet pan and freeze completely, then place in a bag with an air tight seal for longer term storage. Freezing them flat first ensures they keep their shape. Waffles will keep frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat place in a toaster oven until heated through
How to Make Mini Waffles “Churro Style”
Once the mini waffles have finished cooking, brush them with butter or coconut oil and dip in a mixture of coconut sugar and cinnamon.
If you like this breakfast recipe, check out these others:
- Sheet Pan Classic Breakfast Bake (Eggs, Bacon, & Home Fries!)
- Savory Breakfast Sausage Oatmeal
- Gluten Free Apple Muffins
- The Ultimate Guide on How to Make Oatmeal
If you like this waffle recipe, check out these others:
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Waffles
- Ham and Cheese Waffles (Gluten-Free)
- Double Chocolate Banana Waffles
- The BEST Paleo Pancakes
Gluten Free Mini Waffles with Cinnamon Apple Topping
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: approximately 25 waffle bites 1x
For Mini Waffles:
- Melted butter or high-heat cooking spray, for greasing waffle iron
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (48 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
For Cinnamon Apples:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
To Make “Churro Style”:
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- Pre-heat waffle maker set to low heat and brush liberally with melted butter or high-heat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract until fully combined. Add in the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt whisk to combine.
- Following the directions for your waffle maker, cook four waffles at a time by adding 1 tablespoon of waffle mix to each quadrant. Cook until waffles are light brown and set aside until all of the waffle batter is used.
- Meanwhile, make the cinnamon apples: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add diced apples, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Mix well. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until apples are soft and a light brown color. Taste and adjust cinnamon as needed. Take off heat and set aside.
- To make finished waffles churro style: Add cinnamon and coconut sugar to a small mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, melt the butter. Brush waffles with melted butter and working in batches, carefully dip the waffles into the cinnamon sugar mixture until the waffles are well coated.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup!
- You can place the finished waffles in an oven set to 200°F to keep warm while you cook the rest of the waffles and prepare the caramelized apples, but this is not necessary!
- To freeze the mini waffles: Place fully cooled waffles flat on a sheet pan and freeze completely, then place in a bag with an air tight seal for longer term storage. Freezing them flat first ensures they keep their shape. Waffles will keep frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat place in a toaster oven until heated through
- Waffles will keep for four days in the refrigerator!
October 18, 2019
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!