This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These healthy baked egg cups make the perfect breakfast meal prep for when you are rushing out the door but still want your protein-packed nutrient dense meal. They also make a great snack as well! And they’re paleo and whole30 friendly!
Breakfast Egg Cups Recipe
This recipe goes out to all of those people who LOVE and NEED a good breakfast but don’t always (read: ever) have time in the morning to whip up a freshly cooked eggs! These easy oven baked breakfast egg cups are nutrient dense and so delicious! Make these on Sunday and you’ll be thanking yourself all week you did!
This breakfast meal prep eggs have a sweet potato bottom crust and and you can top with two different options: sunny side up with bacon or veggie omelets! You choose! And if you are feeling it, you can mix and match and make both!
Make it how you like it!
The best part about these baked eggs is that you can truly customize it the way you like it! We love the sunny side up with some crumbled bacon, but you can omit the bacon to make them vegetarian or add in another type of meat like ham!
The veggie omelets have a standard pepper, onion and tomato mix but you can literally add in any veggie here, so long as you chop them up small enough, or precook them.
Here are some other suggestions you can add to the egg muffin cups:
Can you freeze them?
Yes! Make sure to cool the egg cups completely before placing in a air tight container and freezing for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and warm it up in the toaster or microwave before serving.
Looking for other paleo breakfast recipes?
If you like this meal prep recipe, check out these others:
- Paleo Asian Beef and “Rice” Meal Prep
- Meal Prep: 8 Budget Friendly Lunches
- Meal Prep Mediterranean Bowls
- How To Make The BEST Baked Oatmeal Cups (Gluten-Free)
Breakfast Prep Baked Egg Cups
For Sweet Potato Crust:
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Option 1: Sunny Side Up with Bacon
- 12 eggs
- 5 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Option 2: Veggie Omelet
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease muffin tins very well.
- Grate sweet potato using cheese grater or food processor.
- In a bowl mix together sweet potato, oil, salt and pepper. Line the bottom of your muffin tins with the sweet potato mixture. Bake for 20 minutes then remove muffin tins.
- For Sunny Side up: Crack egg into the muffin tins, sprinkle with bacon and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- For Veggie Omelet: Scramble eggs in a bowl together with veggies, salt, pepper and garlic powder, and add to divide into muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove and serve hot or let cool completely before store in air-tight container in refrigerator for 3-4 days, or the freezer for up to 1 month.