This Frozen Hot Chocolate is the perfect treat in the winter, with a twist. Whether you live in hot or cold climates, this chilly chocolate-y drink is fun to sip on, and so delicious. Made optionally dairy-free without any refined sweeteners.
Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
When I was young, my dad would take us to Serendipity in New York City. They are known for their frozen hot chocolate and it’s what we always ordered! A drink was double the size of my head and so delicious. I have such fond memories of this that I wanted to recreate it, with options for making it dairy-free. If you’ve never had it, think of it as a chocolate slushy.
This fun seasonal winter drink is a twist on the classic hot chocolate drink, made frozen!
- Dark Chocolate (either a chopped bar of chocolate or chocolate chips)
- Cocoa Powder
- Maple Syrup
- Milk (use regular dairy or dairy-free such as almond milk or oat milk)
- For Serving: Whipped cream or coconut cream, chocolate shavings and sea salt)
How to Make Frozen Hot Chocolate
Our frozen chocolate recipe uses a combination of real chocolate that is melted and cocoa powder. The chocolate has to be melted first, and then whisked together with the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Then whisk in the milk, gradually. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to cool.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy, adding more ice if needed.
Serve it with whipped coconut cream or whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired.
If you like this seasonal recipe, check out these others:
For more winter time sweet treats, check out these recipes:
- How to Make Creme Brûlée (Dairy-Free)
- Overnight Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Gluten Free Pecan Pie
- How to Make Marshmallows (Paleo)
- Melt chocolate in either a double-boiler or slowly in the microwave. Whisk together the melted chocolate, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Whisk in the milk, gradually. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Add chocolate milk mixture and 3 cups of ice to a high speed blender. Blend until creamy and smooth, adding more ice if needed.
- Serve frozen hot chocolate with whipped coconut cream or whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!