This Sheet Pan Greek Meatballs with Veggies and Chickpeas is a delicious dinner that will make the whole family happy! The greek meatballs have a healthy dose of spinach and a nice bright lemon and herb flavor to complement the veggies and chickpeas. This largely hands-off cooking dinner is gluten-free and optionally dairy-free too!
Sheet Pan Greek Meatballs with Veggies and Chickpeas
We can’t get enough of sheet pan dinners, and we’re happy to hear neither can you! Sheet pan dinners are great because they minimize dishes and utilize hands-off cooking! We love this Sheet Pan Greek Meatballs with Veggies and Chickpeas for all of those reasons, but most important we love it because that flavor is so bright with a healthy does of vegetables! The meatballs are made up of chicken, spinach, lemon and greek spices and optionally feta. It’s easy to leave that out if you are dairy-free but we love the salty kick it gives the meatballs.
We used a bunch of veggies like red onions, peppers and eggplants to accompany the meatballs, but it’s easy to swap out for what’s in season or available to you, so long as it cooks in relatively the same amount of time. The chickpeas don’t get super crunchy because they’re cooked with a lot of vegetables with moisture but they add some nice texture and of course a healthy dose of fiber! All together this dish is so flavorful and likely to be your new favorite sheet pan dinner!
What vegetables go with meatballs?
We love recipes when they’re versatile in terms of what veggies you can use, and this sheet pan dinner is no exception. We opted to use red onions, red peppers and eggplants (along with chickpeas) for this dish because they complemented the lemon and herb greek meatballs, but really you could use any veggies that would cook in the directed amount of time. Some other options:
- cauliflower (small florets)
- broccoli (small florets)
- diced zucchini or summer squash
- grape tomatoes
Tips for sheet pan cooking:
- Sheet pan dinners are the best. Make sure to read the recipe all the way through (of course) and plan to use a timer! This way you can truly walk away from the oven and not have to worry about when you need to add anything for the next step.
- Do the prep ahead of time: You can prepare so much of this meal the night before so that right before cooking all you have to do is cook! Chop all the veggies (minus the eggplant, which may brown if left cut overnight) and prepare the chickpeas and spices in a bowl and cover overnight in the fridge. You can also prepare the meatball mixture the night before so all you have to do is scoop them when ready to bake.
- Use the correct size sheet pan. When we say sheet pan we are referring to the rimmed half sheet pan which is 18″ by 13″. The size of the sheet pan matters because you do not want to overcrowd the pan when cooking, so if you are using a smaller sheet pan you may need to use 2 to achieve the same result.
Watch the video:
If you like this sheet pan recipe, check out these others:
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Sheet Pan Classic Breakfast (Eggs, Bacon, Potatoes)
- Sheet Pan Root Vegetable and Sage Pesto Salmon
- Sheet Pan Buffalo Chicken and Veggies
- Sheet Pan Marinated Steak Tips with Veggies
- Sheet Pan Herb Butter Salmon with Blistered Tomatoes and Green Beans
- Sheet Pan Cod and Vegetables in Lemon Herb Sauce
- Sheet Pan Curry Chicken and Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Kielbasa Sausage and Sauerkraut Dinner
For Veggies and Chickpeas:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 red onion, cored and sliced
- ½ eggplant, diced to 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, squeeze out
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 2 green onions
- 1 lb. ground chicken (white or dark meat)
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and lightly oil a 12" x 18" sheet pan.
- In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients for the veggies and chickpeas and toss to combine. Place the vegetable mixture on the sheet pan, spread out evenly and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile to the bowl add the egg, almond flour, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon zest and garlic and whisk until combined. Add in the spinach, feta, green onions and ground chicken and mix together.
- Take the sheet pan out of the oven at 15 minutes and move the veggies and chickpeas to each side to make space in the center for the meatballs.
- Using a small scoop (like a cookie scoop) portion meatballs onto the sheet pan (you want the meatballs to me on the small size, about 1” in diameter). Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the meatballs have cooked through to 165ºF.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately, or portion in meal prep containers and cool completely before closing the lid.
- For dairy-free: leave out the feta!
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!