This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for a healthy and fun breakfast idea? These Spinach Pancakes are kid-approved and so delicious! They’re made healthier using gluten-free flours, but nobody will know it! They’re fluffy and cook up perfectly!
Healthy Spinach Pancakes
St Patrick’s Day is around the corner and whether you have Irish roots or not, it’s all about all things GREEN. I love celebrating holidays, big and small, and adding these healthy Spinach Pancakes into the breakfast rotation this time of year is a fun way to celebrate! These are the best fluffy paleo and gluten-free pancakes, made green with a hidden veggie! Spinach is blended into my classic pancake batter, but you wouldn’t be able to tell. They’re so delicious! Now let’s nourish your family with a festive breakfast packed with good-for-you ingredients!
- Fresh Baby Spinach
- Almond Flour
- Tapioca Flour
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make Green Pancakes
It couldn’t be easier to make these pancakes: add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth! Then cook in your favorite skillet, making sure add in chocolate chips to the batter while cooking. Serve pancakes hot with maple syrup, if desired!
Can you make them ahead of time?
Because of the spinach in the batter, the pancakes do need to be cooked immediately. However, these pancakes freeze wonderfully! Let them cool completely at room temperature, then freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once frozen, you can place in a bag or storage container for longer storage, about 1-2 months. You can heat up in a toaster or microwave until warmed through.
If you like this festive St. Patrick’s Day recipe, try these others:
If you like this breakfast recipe, check out these others:
- The BEST Paleo Pancakes
- Raspberry Oat Breakfast Bars
- Savory Breakfast Sausage Oatmeal
- Sheet Pan Classic Breakfast Bake (Eggs, Bacon, & Home Fries!)
Kid-Friendly Spinach Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup 50 grams almond flour
- 1/2 cup 30 grams tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or add-ins of choice
- butter or ghee or oil for cooking
- Add eggs, applesauce and fresh spinach to a blender. Blend until spinach is mostly pureed. Add in the almond flour, tapioca, baking powder and pinch of salt. Blend until the mixture comes together, about 1 minute.
- Heat butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot add 1/4 cup batter and drop in add-ins if using on to pancake batter.
- Let cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, then flip and continue to cook for about 2 minutes until pancake is fully cooked.
- Continue with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with desired toppings and serve immediately.