This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs: an easy instant pot method for making perfect hard-boiled eggs every time! This instant pot hard-boiled eggs recipe is ready in a total of 15 minutes!
Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Eggs
If you’ve ever struggled with over-cooked, under-cooked, or hard-to-peel hard-boiled eggs, then you’re in the right place! While there are so many reasons to incorporate an instant pot into your regularly used kitchen tools, I think one of the best uses for an Instant Pot is to make absolutely perfect hard-boiled eggs.
This recipe takes the guesswork out of making hard-boiled eggs. All you do is place them into the Instant Pot, add your water, let them cook, then transfer them to an ice bath and peel. It’s so simple and the eggs peel perfectly every time! If you’ve tried my old trusty steaming method for great hard boiled eggs in the past, you can imagine how amazing this method is, since it’s now my default way to make hard boiled eggs!
What You’ll Need
Turns out, to make the best hard-boiled eggs, you just need two basic ingredients!
- Eggs: believe it or not, older eggs are better! They’re easier to peel than super fresh eggs.
- Water: the water helps the instant pot come to pressure.
- Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Rack or Egg Inserts
How to Hard-Boil Eggs in the Instant Pot
These really are the best hard-boiled eggs…and they take a total of 15 minutes to make!
- Prep the instant pot: Place the eggs into a steamer basket, in an egg rack, or on the instant pot rack. Add 1 cup of water to the pot, then close the lid and set it to sealing.
- Cook and cool: Set the timer for 5 minutes at high pressure. Once the cooking time is done, turn the valve to quick release. Transfer the eggs immediately to an ice bath with cold water and chill for 5 minutes.
- Peel and serve: Once chilled, peel the eggs and serve as desired or store in the fridge!
How Long to Hard Boil Eggs in an Instant Pot
This obviously depends on the method you’re using, but for these instant pot hard-boiled eggs, you’ll set the timer for 5 minutes.
However, the eggs actually cook for a total of 10 minutes. The instant pot takes 5 additional minutes to come to pressure before the timer actually starts counting down. During this time, the eggs are being cooked.
It’s the 5-5-5 method
- 5 minutes to come up to pressure
- 5 minutes to cook
- 5 minutes in an ice bath!
Hard boiled eggs can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days. I recommend storing them unpeeled to keep them as fresh as possible!
What to Do With Your Hard Boiled Eggs
- Eat them as a snack with everything bagel seasoning!
- Egg Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Make a Sandwich
- Deviled Eggs with Bacon and Chives
- Get creative… How to Naturally Dye Easter Eggs Using Food
More Easy Instant Pot Guides and Recipes
- Instant Pot Rice
- How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Yogurt
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Apple Sauce
- How to Cook Pasta in the Instant Pot
- How to Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
Watch The Video:
How to Make Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 6 eggs or more as desired
- 1 cup of water
- Place eggs in a steamer basket, in the egg rack, or on your Instant Pot rack.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Close the lid, making sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Set for 5 minutes at high pressure. Note: It will take the cooker approximately 5 minutes to build to pressure and then 5 minutes to cook.
- Turn the valve to quick release and let the steam release.
- Place the hot eggs into an ice bath with cold water and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Peel and enjoy or store for up to 3 days.
Wow! Every recipe of Lexi’s that I make, my family loves. I am using Lexi’s Clean Kitchen Cookbook and so far ever recipe has been superb. Even my grandchildren are loving the food I make, so I am able to feed them more healthy dishes.
I followed these directions once & they came out great, I tried it for a 2nd time & they came out soft boiled. Not sure what happened
How long do hard boiled eggs last? Hard boiled eggs last about 7 days in the fridge, but can spoil quicker if not handled properly. Hard boiled eggs are fresh whole eggs that have been boiled for about 10 …
I need to do 12-18 eggs. Is that possible?
I remember as a kid i used to not like these. Now these are one of my favorite treats. They have become quite convenient and easy to make! Thanks for the 5-5-5 method! Talk about easy to make!! Thanks Lexi!
How much time would I set if only making 2-4 eggs?
The same, I believe.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are the best! My kids would never eat the yolk of hard boiled eggs before. Now that we use the instant pot they love the creamy yolk. 5 minutes is the perfect timing! Thanks Lexi.
Okay…so I’m new to the Instant Pot, and I MUST be doing something wrong! I’ve done this several times and the eggs are hard and rubbery. I go down to 2 or 3 minutes, and they’re still hard, with just the slightest hint of “medium” in the middle. I always quick release as well.
Am I doing something wrong?! High pressure for 5 minutes, quick release. This should yield soft boiled? Any tips are appreciated 🙂
I am excited for Instant Pot recipes. I have one but I don’t use it to its full potential…kinda afraid of it.
Once you start, you’ll be obsessed!
Hard boiled eggs & TJ’s everything bagel seasoning is EVERYTHING!!