This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Lemon Roasted Chicken with Garlic, Capers, and Artichokes is a flavorful, hearty, and healthy meal that the whole family will love. It’s made with juicy, perfectly roasted chicken smothered with fresh, tangy, salty, spicy flavors.
Simple Roast Chicken Recipe
This Lemon Roasted Chicken Recipe is one of those perfect meals that tastes like you spent the whole evening on it, but actually took you just a few quick minutes. Seriously!
This dish is always a major hit. The chicken is bursting with flavor and literally falls off of the bone. It’s also whole30 compliant, paleo-friendly, nut-free, and egg-free.
This perfect meal is a one-pan wonder you’ll be making over and over!
- Oil: You’ll need just a little bit of extra-virgin olive oil to coat the pan.
- Onion: I usually use yellow onion, but feel free to use white onion if that’s what you have on hand.
- Chicken: You’ll need 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken parts.
- Lemons: One lemon for fresh juice and one for fresh slices.
- Garlic: I love the flavor of freshly minced garlic, but if you have pre-minced on hand feel free to use that.
- Capers: Capers are optional, but definitely recommended. The add a delicious tangy, salty flavor.
- Seasonings: We’re seasoning with a blend of Italian seasoning, paprika, sea salt, ground pepper. Optionally, add in a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to give your chicken a kick of spice!
How to Roast Chicken
Believe it or not, this mouthwatering roasted chicken recipe takes just 5 minutes to prep! Just throw everything together, then let the high heat of the oven work its magic.
- Sauté the onion: In a dutch oven, heat oil over high heat. Add the onions in and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Sear the chicken: Pat the chicken dry, then season with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken on both sides.
- Add the aromatics and seasonings: In a bowl, combine lemon juice and slices, artichokes, garlic, and seasonings. Add the chicken back to the pan, then pour the lemon juice mixture over it. Sprinkle with more pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning.
- Roast: Roast the chicken, uncovered, for 30 minutes, then serve and enjoy.
How Long to Roast Chicken
I usually roast the chicken in the oven for 30 minutes and it comes out perfectly!
However, all ovens are different. The best way to ensure that your chicken is done cooking is to check that there is no longer any pink remaining or to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should be 165ºF!
Is It Better to Roast Chicken at 350ºF or 425ºF?
Roasting in general requires a higher heat, because it gives the chicken that caramelized, crisp-tender exterior.
While that definitely depends on the chicken you are roasting, this recipe yields the best results with an oven temperature of 425ºF.
Tips and Notes
- Pat the chicken dry. Removing excess moisture helps the skin get nice and crispy.
- Don’t skip the sear. Searing before roasting kick starts the cooking process and helps lock in the moisture of the chicken.
- Cook uncovered. Cooking the chicken uncovered is the key to that classic crispy texture we’re going for.
- To give the chicken extra color, broil on high for 1-2 minutes after roasting.
There’s definitely no shortage of delicious side dishes you can serve with this Lemon Roasted Chicken! Here are a few ideas:
- Lemon Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Air Fryer Asparagus with Lemon and Parmesan
- Caesar Salad
- Gluten-Free Garlic Bread
- Coconut Rice
How to Store
Leftover cooked chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2- 3 months.
To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen, then warm covered in the oven at 350ºF until heated through. To re-crisp the skin, broil for a couple of minutes after reheating.
More Chicken Recipes to Try
Watch The Video:
Lemon Roasted Chicken with Garlic, Capers, and Artichokes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 8 skin-on bone-in organic chicken parts
- 2 lemons 1 sliced and 1 juiced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup artichokes in juice
- Optional: 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch fine sea salt more to taste
- Pinch freshly ground pepper more to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- In a medium dutch oven, heat oil over high heat. Sauté onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Pat chicken dry and season well with salt and pepper. In stages, sear chicken on both sides. Should be around 5 minutes each side.
- In a bowl whisk together lemon juice, lemon slices, artichokes, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add the seared chicken back into the pan and pour the lemon juice/artichoke mixture over it. Sprinkle with additional freshly ground pepper, sea salt, and Italian seasoning.
- Roast, uncovered, in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and no pink remains.
- Serve hot and enjoy!