These easy meatless Chipotle Mushroom Tacos are a weeknight dinner win that are hearty and flavorful. They’re vegan, but nobody will know otherwise because they have such a “meaty” flavor that will be a loved by everyone. Serve it up with your favorite taco fixin’s for dinner on the table in well under 30 minutes!
Chipotle Portobello Mushroom Tacos
Recently you’ve been asking for more meatless dinner options and there isn’t a greater substitute for meat than mushrooms! Mushrooms are hearty with an ability to compliment many different flavors. In this case we were going for a smoky fajita type taco, so we’re pairing portobello mushrooms with onions and peppers and adding in some quick flavor from a few spices and a bit of adobo sauce from canned chipotle. While these aren’t terribly spicy, you can omit or decrease the amount of adobo to make it more palatable to kids if you need to.
This weeknight dinner recipe comes together in just about 20 minutes and is so hearty and flavorful! Serve with all of your favorite taco / fajita fixin’s and enjoy a delicious meatless meal.
What kind of mushrooms to use:
We use portobello mushrooms in this recipe. The idea for this recipe was to be similar in profile to a steak fajita taco. Portobello mushrooms have a similar texture, look and umami taste to steak so they are the perfect mushroom to use. Look for mushrooms that smell fresh are firm and dry. Avoid ones that have bruising, look slimy or have an unpleasant smell to them.
How do you clean portobello mushrooms:
- Wipe off any excess dirt on the cap
- Take out the stem
- Scoop out the “gills” underneath the cap with a spoon as these do not taste good so remove before using the mushroom
What are the health benefits of mushrooms?
Mushrooms are high in vitamin B and antioxidants. Antioxidants are our body’s army against free radicals which are unstable molecules that naturally occur in your body that damage cells and cause disease (and aging). Consuming a diet rich in antioxidants help counteract the effect of free radicals and build your bodies defense.
If you like this taco recipe, check out these others:
- How To Make The BEST Taco Meat (In The Instant Pot!)
- 30-Minute Loaded Taco Skillet [VIDEO]
- Crispy Chicken Tacos with Special Sauce
- 30-Minute Taco Soup
- Fish Tacos with Tropical Salsa
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-2 tablespoon chipotle adobe sauce (from canned chipotles), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 large sweet bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- additional salt and pepper, to taste
- For serving: tortillas, lettuce, guacamole, salsa and side of rice or slaw.
- Clean portobello mushrooms: Wipe off any excess dirt on the cap. Remove the stem and scoop out the “gills” under the cap and discard. Then slice to 1/4 inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy pan over medium high heat. Once hot and the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms cook until just tender and any liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl. To the bowl chipotle adobo sauce, salt, cumin, and paprika.
- Meanwhile add remaining tablespoon oil to the pan and add onions and bell peppers and pinch of salt. Cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. And the mushrooms back to the pan and combine. Add lime and cook for 1 more minutes until heated through then remove from heat. Season to taste.
- Serve hot with desired sides!
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!