This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A comfort food classic, this Healthier Sloppy Joes recipe will definitely be a hit with the whole family. This cleaned up version is free from any added sugar, but still full of flavor and perfect to serve on a burger bun or homemade roll with your favorite toppings for an EASY weeknight meal you’ll be putting on repeat.
Paleo Sloppy Joes
I have this thing with sloppy joes. I’ve always just LOVED them. It’s like an old-school, childhood camp staple I just love!
This is some seriously delicious comfort food, and with a quick update on ingredients this can be made Paleo friendly! Serve them on top of my paleo rolls for a deliciously satisfying meal, or if you want over a baked potato or sweet potato or spaghetti squash.
Scroll down for the full ingredient list and recipe!
- Olive Oil
- Ground Beef
- Arrowroot Powder
- Tomato Sauce
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- Sea Salt
Make These Sloppy Joes Paleo
Obviously, Sloppy Joe’s are traditionally served on a roll or some type of bread, typically a hamburger bun. Luckily I have a homemade paleo bread or nut-free bread recipe that makes amazing rolls so you can still use that option if you’re following a Paleo or gluten-free diet. Check out that recipe here.
I love topping these with:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Roughly chopped lettuce
- Sliced red onion
- Chopped tomatoes
But these are truly delicious all on their own as well!
More Comfort Food Dinners:
- In-A-Hurry Meat Sauce (in under 20 minutes)!
- One-Pot Taco Pasta
- Healthy Hamburger Helper
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- How To Make The BEST Taco Meat
- Gluten Free Lasagna Soup
Watch The Video:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 lb. grass-fed beef
- 1 15 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow or dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup lettuce roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add in ground beef and let cook until brown and no pink remains.
- Add in tomato sauce, white vinegar, yellow or dijon mustard, and spices. Mix well to combine.
- Add in arrowroot and mix well.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve on paleo rolls.
Love this recipe! Haven’t made it for awhile and it still holds up. Easy and delicious.
So great! This is a meal I make when I have ground beef and burger buns and don’t want to make burgers! I love how quick it is to make, that I don’t have to measure out and mess with my ketchup bottle, and it can keep simmering on the stovetop while I prep other things. Home run!
These are so tasty! They taste so much like my childhood sloppy joes. Very nostalgic!
Tastes too much like mustard.
I’ve been making this for dinner for our family for years, and we all love it! I just came back today and saw the redesign, which looks amazing! Great site; great recipe!