This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A comfort food classic, this Healthier Sloppy Joes recipe will definitely be a hit with the whole family. This cleaned up version is free from any added sugar, but still full of flavor and perfect to serve on a burger bun or homemade roll with your favorite toppings for an EASY weeknight meal you’ll be putting on repeat.
Paleo Sloppy Joes
I have this thing with sloppy joes. I’ve always just LOVED them. It’s like an old-school, childhood camp staple I just love!
This is some seriously delicious comfort food, and with a quick update on ingredients this can be made Paleo friendly! Serve them on top of my paleo rolls for a deliciously satisfying meal, or if you want over a baked potato or sweet potato or spaghetti squash.
Scroll down for the full ingredient list and recipe!
- Olive Oil
- Ground Beef
- Arrowroot Powder
- Tomato Sauce
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- Sea Salt
Make These Sloppy Joes Paleo
Obviously, Sloppy Joe’s are traditionally served on a roll or some type of bread, typically a hamburger bun. Luckily I have a homemade paleo bread or nut-free bread recipe that makes amazing rolls so you can still use that option if you’re following a Paleo or gluten-free diet. Check out that recipe here.
I love topping these with:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Roughly chopped lettuce
- Sliced red onion
- Chopped tomatoes
But these are truly delicious all on their own as well!
More Comfort Food Dinners:
- In-A-Hurry Meat Sauce (in under 20 minutes)!
- One-Pot Taco Pasta
- Healthy Hamburger Helper
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- How To Make The BEST Taco Meat
- Gluten Free Lasagna Soup
Watch The Video:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 lb. grass-fed beef
- 1 15 oz can organic tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow or dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup lettuce roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add in ground beef and let cook until brown and no pink remains.
- Add in tomato sauce, white vinegar, yellow or dijon mustard, and spices. Mix well to combine.
- Add in arrowroot and mix well.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve on paleo rolls.