Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
Sweet and savory, this Honey Mustard Chicken Salad is a fresh take on a classic lunch staple: diced chicken, roasted red peppers and cilantro make up this mayo-free salad.
Mayo-Free Chicken Salad
I am super into chicken salad as of late. Cranberry Walnut, Pesto, Apple Dill… you name it. Now that I make my own mayo it’s great. I don’t need to worry about using ingredients I’m not thrilled about, and can get pretty creative! But, I don’t always have the mayo on hand and for those moments I go honey mustard. It is so good. I love the addition of roasted red peppers and cilantro in it, like really really love those flavors together.
Simple to throw together and packed with great flavor. Perfect meal prep food right there!
As with all chicken salad, it’s easiest to use either leftover chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken. If doing it this way, this meal prep takes about 5 minutes! If you’re using a rotisserie chicken you can either double up on this recipe since it only calls for 2 cups of chicken, or use the remainder of the chicken for a dish such as Buffalo Chicken Dip, Loaded Paleo Nachos, or Chicken Soup. If you want to make the chicken fresh, you can make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot or slow cooker!
Ways to Eat Chicken Salad:
- Make it classic with a sandwich! Add baby spinach and avocado if you’re feeling fancy.
- Wrap it up! There are luckily now a lot of gluten-free wraps, or you could try using a gluten free tortilla, like Siete brands.
- Serve it over a bed of lettuce. Any lettuce would work here ranging from a classic romaine to a baby kale or spinach.
- Or wrap it up with lettuce! Check out our post all about making Lettuce Wraps.
- Put it in an avocado! This flavor combo will be pretty awesome.
- Serve it with crunchy crackers. There are lots of gluten-free brands, and also some seed based or cheese crackers for low carb.
- Stuff it in a scooped out cucumber. Scoop the seeds out of the cucumber and stuff in the chicken salad! We’d recommend a traditional cucumber here, which tend to be larger than the European or greenhouse cucumbers.
- Or just eat it! It’s that good.
How Long Will it Keep?
Homemade chicken salad stays good for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator!
Watch the video here:
If you like this chicken salad recipe, check out these others:
- Taco Chicken Salad
- Smoky Chicken Salad Lettuce Boats
- Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
- Pesto Chicken Salad
Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Prep Time: 00:10
- Total Time: 00:10
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 lb. (about 2 cups) cooked boneless chicken breast, diced (see note)
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve as desired and store any leftovers in a container for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: As served
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 128mg
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 13.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 35.6g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
Keywords: Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
June 8, 2014
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!