This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Sweet and savory, this Honey Mustard Chicken Salad is a fresh take on a classic lunch staple: diced chicken, roasted red peppers and cilantro make up this mayo-free salad.
Mayo-Free Chicken Salad
I am super into chicken salad as of late. Cranberry Walnut, Pesto, Apple Dill… you name it. Now that I make my own mayo it’s great. I don’t need to worry about using ingredients I’m not thrilled about, and can get pretty creative! But, I don’t always have the mayo on hand and for those moments I go honey mustard. It is so good. I love the addition of roasted red peppers and cilantro in it, like really really love those flavors together.
Simple to throw together and packed with great flavor. Perfect meal prep food right there!
As with all chicken salad, it’s easiest to use either leftover chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken. If doing it this way, this meal prep takes about 5 minutes! If you’re using a rotisserie chicken you can either double up on this recipe since it only calls for 2 cups of chicken, or use the remainder of the chicken for a dish such as Buffalo Chicken Dip, Loaded Paleo Nachos, or Chicken Soup. If you want to make the chicken fresh, you can make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot or slow cooker!
Ways to Eat Chicken Salad:
- Make it classic with a sandwich! Add baby spinach and avocado if you’re feeling fancy.
- Wrap it up! There are luckily now a lot of gluten-free wraps, or you could try using a gluten free tortilla, like Siete brands.
- Serve it over a bed of lettuce. Any lettuce would work here ranging from a classic romaine to a baby kale or spinach.
- Or wrap it up with lettuce! Check out our post all about making Lettuce Wraps.
- Put it in an avocado! This flavor combo will be pretty awesome.
- Serve it with crunchy crackers. There are lots of gluten-free brands, and also some seed based or cheese crackers for low carb.
- Stuff it in a scooped out cucumber. Scoop the seeds out of the cucumber and stuff in the chicken salad! We’d recommend a traditional cucumber here, which tend to be larger than the European or greenhouse cucumbers.
- Or just eat it! It’s that good.
How Long Will it Keep?
Homemade chicken salad stays good for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator!
Watch the video here:
If you like this chicken salad recipe, check out these others:
- Taco Chicken Salad
- Smoky Chicken Salad Lettuce Boats
- Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
- Pesto Chicken Salad
Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- 1 lb. about 2 cups cooked boneless chicken breast, diced (see note)
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve as desired and store any leftovers in a container for up to 5 days.