This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice is an easy-to-make dinner that the whole family will love. Made with a few simple whole ingredients, this healthy dinner will soon be a family favorite. Made in partnership with my friends at Farmer Focus!
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice and Broccoli
Everyone needs to have a healthy, hearty and most importantly, delicious dinner recipe that can be made quickly on a weeknight, and this Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice can be it! This easy chicken and rice dinner requires only about 10 minutes of prep and hands on cooking time, while the rest is done easily in the Instant Pot. The rice is creamy, the chicken is perfectly cooked and juicy and the broccoli is crisp tender. We’re confident in saying even the pickiest of eaters will like this one!
Ingredients Needed for Chicken Broccoli and Rice
- Farmer Focus Chicken Thighs (boneless and skinless)
- Long-grain White Rice
- Frozen Broccoli Florets
- Chicken Broth
- Cheddar Cheese
Cooking Broccoli in the Instant Pot
We knew exactly what we wanted when we set out to make this recipe: cheesy rice, with perfectly seasoned chicken and broccoli that was not overcooked. But this last bit proved to be the most difficult. Cooking broccoli in the Instant Pot usually results in overcooked broccoli. While for some dishes, that fall apart broccoli mess works, for this we were looking for crisp tender broccoli that stayed whole. Cooking it fully in the Instant Pot by adding it with the rice resulted in broccoli that fell apart. Cooking it in the Instant Pot after the rice had finished cooking for 0 (zero) minutes made the rice burn.
What we turned to was frozen broccoli florets that had been mostly thawed by rinsing under lukewarm water. Good quality frozen broccoli has already been blanched before freezing. Once thawed, the florets are much quicker to cook than fresh broccoli. So for this recipe, we added the thawed broccoli florets to the Instant Pot right after the rice finished cooking. Then closed the lid and allowed the broccoli to steam with the residual heat. This resulted in crisp-tender broccoli.
If you prefer to use fresh broccoli for this recipe you will need to cook it separately first, then add it to the finished rice along with the cheese. To do this in the Instant Pot: cook it first on a steaming rack with 1/2 cup of water on high pressure for 0 (zero) minutes. If you don’t mind broccoli that is fall apart and wish to cook it with the rice, that is fine too! In fact, some kids will prefer it this way. It will result in soft broccoli bits all throughout the rice.
Why Quality Chicken is a Must
With so few ingredients in this dish, it is incredibly important to use quality chicken. I am so happy partnering with my friends at Farmer Focus to bring you this easy Instant Pot chicken recipe! Farmer Focus has been my go-to, trusted chicken for years now, because they pride themselves in producing the highest quality meat grown on family-owned farms. You can 100% taste the difference. I love knowing that, without a doubt, when I pick up Farmer Focus chicken at the grocery store, it’s the best there is and I don’t have to question whether it was raised in a humane way.
Farmer Focus is building partnerships with farmers through their innovative Farmer Focus Business Model
Here is what I love about Farmer Focus: they are a company that supports their farmer partners and they are working hard to do things right and truly raise and produce the highest quality chicken! Every Farmer Focus product includes a 4-letter Farm ID that traces your chicken to the farm that raised it. Buying meat from Farmer Focus also gives me peace of mind that I am supporting hard-working family farmers.
Farmer Focus chickens are humanely raised and fed a diet free from animal byproducts, pesticides, and antibiotics. On their website you can see where all of the farms are located, so you know just where your chicken was raised! How awesome is that?!
You can also use their easy store locator to find where you can get this amazing quality chicken near you.
If you like this whole dinner in the Instant Pot, check out these others:
- Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta (Gluten-Free)
For more chicken recipes, check out these:
- French Onion Chicken Bake
- Chili Garlic Chicken Satay Skewers
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Paleo Orange Chicken
Watch the video:
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice
- 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice rinsed and drained well
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-½ lb. Farmer Focus boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups 9 ounces frozen broccoli florets (see note)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oil, using the saute function in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Shut off the saute function.
- To the pot, add rinsed rice, chicken broth, chicken, salt, pepper and paprika and mix well. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes and when done use a quick pressure release.
- While the chicken cooks, rinse frozen broccoli florets under lukewarm water for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Once all the pressure has released, remove the lid from the Instant Pot and add in the broccoli florets and cheddar cheese and mix well to combine. Place the lid back on top, and switch the valve to sealing and let the mixture steam (leaving on the warming feature is fine) for 10 minutes. Release any built up pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir the rice and serve immediately.
This is our favorite instant pot recipe, even my 2 picky kids like it! So quick and simple, but still delicious. Lazy/tired parent tips: I use ~2 cups broth (because it’s half the 32oz box) and have no problem with the burn notice. We use whole chicken thighs and shred later – they cook through just fine. Thanks for this great recipe, Lexi!
Is this possible to make vegetarian?
Can this be frozen? I’m single and this is a massive portion for me to finish before it goes bad?
Got burn notice immediately! Needs lots more stock!
Made this using frozen chicken tenders and jasmine rice along with fresh broccoli and doubled it and it turned out terrific!! So easy! This will become a staple at our home. Thank you 😊
Love it. So happy!
We tried this and loved the flavor. I had mozzarella and parmesan in the house, and it really was still a nice cheese. I really struggled not to get Food Burn warnings on my Instant Pot, though. The rice really just wanted to burn to the bottom, and I added too much chicken broth if anything. Do you have any pointers on how to set this one up for success without burning the bottom grains of rice? Did I do something wrong?
We had this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! So much flavor! We’ll definitely be making this again!