This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Cranberry Orange Margarita is perfect for your next party! This holiday cocktail is made up of freshly squeezed orange juice, tart cranberry juice, tequila, and a dash of maple syrup.
Easy Cranberry Margarita Recipe
This cranberry margarita recipe makes the perfect holiday drink! It’s a festive spin on your classic margarita flavored with a mixture of cranberry juice and orange juice and finished off with a sea salt and orange zest rim. Bonus: it’s naturally sweetened with maple syrup!
This recipe includes options for a big batch or a single serving, so you can serve it up at your next holiday party or whip one up for a cozy night at home!
Scroll down for the full ingredient list!
- Tequila and Orange Liquor: this is the classic combination of liquors used in margaritas. I recommend Tequila Blanco, also known as silver tequila since it has the most neutral flavor.
- Cranberry Juice: I use unsweetened tart cranberry juice so I can adjust the sweetness myself.
- Orange Juice: I highly recommend freshly squeezed orange juice for the best results. However, pre-squeezed orange juice will work in a pinch.
- Maple Syrup: my natural sweetener of choice.
- Orange Slices: for serving, if desired.
- Sea Salt and Orange Zest: for the rim!
How to Salt the Margarita Glass Rim
Here’s what I always do to easily salt the rims of the serving glasses:
- Pour a little bit of orange juice in one shallow dish, then combine salt and orange zest in another shallow dish.
- Dip the top of each cup into the orange juice first, then dip into the salt/orange zest. The juice helps the salt stick!
Once the rims are salted, you can serve up your drinks! Super easy!
How to Make a Margarita
This festive holiday drink is the perfect quick and easy recipe to whip up for your next holiday party! It’s ready in just 5 minutes!
- Combine: Mix all of the ingredients together in a pitcher (for a big batch) or a cocktail shaker with ice (for a single drink.)
- Salt the rim: Salt the rims of your serving glasses with orange zest and coarse salt (see above).
- Pour, garnish, and serve: Add an ice cube to each glass if needed, pour in the margarita mixture, then garnish with orange slices.
What is the Best Alcohol to Use in a Margarita?
I use a combination of tequila and orange liquor for these margaritas! The tequila is the classic margarita liquor while the orange liquor helps enhance the flavors of the juice in this recipe.
I always use silver tequila, or Tequila Blanco, since it has a more mild flavor. If you prefer not to use tequila you can sub it out for vodka instead since its flavor is relatively mild as well.
Tips and Notes for Cranberry Margaritas
- Sweetness: I prefer to use tart cranberry juice that has no added sugar. Then I sweeten slightly with maple syrup to taste.
- Tequila: Adjust the tequila to taste. Start with less and add more.
- Put it on ice. These drinks are so good cold. If you’d rather not have ice cubes in your drink, you can place the pitcher in the refrigerator to chill before serving.
- Make it sparkly. Make your drinks carbonated by topping each glass off with a splash of sparkling water.
- Make it virgin. Not feeling the booze? These drinks are also delicious without alcohol. Just add more juice!
Serve these cranberry orange margaritas at your next holiday party with a spread of delicious finger foods! Here are some ideas:
- Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Charcuterie Board
- Spinach Dipped Stuffed Mushrooms
- Prosciutto Wrapped Glazed Shrimp
- Salad Roll-Ups (No Cooking Appetizer!)
- Roasted Eggplant Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
More Holiday Drinks You’ll Love
Cranberry Orange Margaritas
Big batch (6 glasses):
- 1 1/2 cups tequila I use silver
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange liquor
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup more or less to taste
- Orange slices for serving
To make just one drink:
- 1 1/2 - 2 ounces tequila I use silver
- 2 1/2 ounces cranberry juice
- 1/2 ounce orange juice
- 1/2 ounce orange liquor
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup more to taste
For the Rims:
- Sea Salt
- Orange Zest
For big batch:
- Combine all ingredients in your pitcher and stir to combine.
- When ready to serve, salt the rims with orange zest and coarse salt, 4-6 glasses: Pour a little bit of orange juice in one shallow dish, then combine salt and orange zest in another shallow dish. Dip the top of each cup into the orange juice first, then dip into the salt/orange zest. The juice helps the salt stick!
- Add ice cube to each glass and pour the margaritas over the ice.
- Add orange slices and serve.
- Salt the rim of your glass with orange zest and sea salt. Pour a little bit of orange juice in one shallow dish, then combine salt and orange zest in another shallow dish. Dip the top of each cup into the orange juice first, then dip into the salt/orange zest. The juice helps the salt stick!
- Combine all the ingredients in your cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake until combined and then strain into your glass.
- Add orange slice and enjoy.
- I prefer to use tart cranberry juice with no added sugar and sweeten lightly with maple syrup. You can start with a little maple and add more as desired.
- Adjust tequila to your desired amount (maybe you'll want a little more or less depending on your crowd).
- Place a little of the juice from the orange on a plate and dip your glass into it before salting the rim, this helps it stick!
- Big Ice Cubes: Find them here!