Dry-Rub Grilled Wings
Grilled Dry Rub Wings are a delicious and healthy way to prepare chicken wings. We’re sharing our favorite dry rub recipe for wings to make for the best summer-time grilled appetizer.
Grilled Dry-Rub Wings Recipe
Crispy, juicy and a bit smoky, these Dry-Rub Wings are made on the grill and are the perfect appetizer recipe or for a fun summertime dinner when served with a side. The dry-rub gives the wings some really nice flavor, with minimal effort and the grill makes cooking these wings up super quick!
What is a Dry Rub?
We’re calling for a dry rub on the wings to give them a nicely seasoned flavor. It’s basically just flavoring you put on the meat. It usually includes spices, herbs, salt and sometimes sugar. To make the dry rub, simply mix together some dried herbs and spices on “rub” them on the chicken wings.
Dry Rub Ingredients for Wings
Here are the spices I use for my dry rub:
- Dried Rosemary
- Chili Powder
- Fine Sea Salt
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
How to Make Dry-Rub Wings
Making these wings are simple.
- Place the wings, spices and a bit of oil in a bag and shake it up until it’s well coated.
- You can either grill immediately, or let it marinated for 30 minutes or up to overnight. I’m always a little impatient so I usually grill them right away to great success.
- Serve with a quick dipping sauce!
How Do You Know When Chicken Wings are Done on the Grill?
The best way to tell if the chicken is fully cooked through inside is to check it with an instant-read thermometer (we love our Thermapen). It should reach at least 165ºF. You also want to make sure the wings have a nice crispy exterior, as well. Make sure to flip as needed.
Dipping Sauce Ideas
Even though these dry-rubbed wings are delicious all on their own, we know a good dipping sauce is never a bad idea to include. In the recipe, I’ve included a srirachi-mayo dipping sauce, but just in case you need some other ideas, here are some suggestions:
- Buffalo Sauce (use the sauce in this Baked Buffalo Wing recipe)
- BBQ Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Ranch (use the sauce in this Sheet Pan Ranch Chicken recipe)
- Healthy Green Goddess Dressing (this is awesome for a switch on the classic sauces to serve with wings)
- Asian Dipping Sauce (try the sauce from this Asian Cauliflower Wings recipe)
- Blue Cheese
Watch the video:
Like this recipe for wings? Check out these others:
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Baked Buffalo Wings
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (Instant Pot or Baked)
- Chicken Wings with Mango-Chili Sauce
Dry-Rub Grilled Wings
- Prep Time: 00:10
- Cook Time: 00:15
- Total Time: 00:25
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground garlic powder
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds
Sriracha Mayo Dipping Sauce:
- 1/3 cup mayo, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Place wings in a plastic bag and add in oil, garlic, and spices. Toss to combine.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grease grill and place wings on.
- Let cook for 7 minutes then flip for a remaining 7, until no pink remains.
- Serve with sriracha mayo or desired dipping sauce!
Bake these instead: Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes. Using tongs, flip wings and bake for another 10 minutes. Broil for 1-2 minutes to get the wings extra crispy. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm with dipping sauce!
Want to let it marinate? Go ahead and let it sit for as little as 30 minutes or overnight!
- Serving Size: As served
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 684mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
Keywords: Dry-Rub Wings
I was selected by American Express to contribute to their Tumblr community. As such, I was paid for my services, but all opinions in general and about American express are my own.
May 23, 2021
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!