Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork is the ultimate pulled pork recipe! Tender and flavorful pulled pork cooked in a homemade sweet and smoky refined sugar free BBQ sauce… doesn’t get much better than that! Summer BBQ perfection.
Ah, the beloved slow cooker. So convenient, so simple, and always delivering delicious meals! I have been wanting to make pulled pork since I purchased my slow cooker months ago (late, I know). After tons of recipe research, I have developed a recipe that is both spicy & sweet, tender, and very simple. The house smelled amazing while this was cooking. Eat it simply in a dish (I like it with some grilled pineapple), in a sandwich, for taco night, or even in quesadillas, the options are endless!Print
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours and 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 lbs. organic pork shoulder roast or pork butt
- Meat Rub:
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic power
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Homemade BBQ Sauce:
- 1 15 oz. can organic diced tomato
- 1 8 oz. can organic tomato paste
- 1/4 cup organic chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon organic Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspooon cayenne, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, more to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all sauce ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let simmer uncovered, mixing occasionally, for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- While sauce is simmering, combine meat rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Pat meat dry and slice it into three medium pieces. Generously rub the meat with the spice mix, making sure every area is well covered.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and add 1 tablespoon avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, sear meat for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until brown. Place the meat in the crock pot.
- Once the BBQ sauce is ready, take it off heat and let cool for about 5 minutes. Pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour BBQ sauce over the meat in the slow cooker and make sure the meat is generously covered.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it to cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the meat and place it on a cutting board. Let cool for a few minutes. When cool, using 2 forks shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, discarding any large pieces of fat.
- Serve warm!
We like serving this with a slice of bibb lettuce, red cabbage slaw, and chives.
- Calories: 478
- Sugar: 11.6g
- Sodium: 520mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
June 12, 2013
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!