These Meal Prep Freezer Burritos are one of my go-to make ahead meals for when I am meal prepping for myself or cooking for others and delivering meals! They are filling, loaded with protein, delicious veggies, and so customizable. Plus they are super easy to make! Scroll down to learn all you need to now for How to Make Frozen Burritos for Meal Prep.
Homemade Frozen Burritos for Meal Prep
These Homemade Frozen Burritos are my go-to when I’m cooking for someone, or when I need to meal-prep. They come together so easily, and they are DELICIOUS. While they are totally freezer-friendly, you also can make a batch, assemble and have half for dinner and save the other half for an easy dinner option. There is nothing better than opening your freezer and realizing you have a healthy burrito waiting for you! Today we’re talking all about How to Make Frozen Burritos with two different fillings: salsa verde chicken and traditional taco meat. You can add in your favorite fillings!
How to Store Homemade Frozen Burritos
The first tip I have to offer is to make sure that when you assemble your burritos that the filling isn’t very hot. Let it cool slightly before packing it. The quicker you can get this to freeze, the better.
Once you’ve assembled and wrapped your burritos in either plastic wrap or aluminum foil, lay them on a sheet pan to flash freeze in your freezer. Once they’re fully frozen, place them in a tightly sealed bag for long term storage. You can store these up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Heat them Up
To reheat, unwrap them and place on a plate with the seam side down. Reheat in a microwave for 2-4 minutes until heated through, or place in a toaster oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through. Exact timing will vary depending on toaster oven and microwave.
If you like this meal prep recipe, check out these others:
- Paleo Asian Beef and “Rice” Meal Prep
- Meal Prep: 8 Budget Friendly Lunches
- Meal Prep Mediterranean Bowls
- Breakfast Prep Baked Egg Cups
If you like this Mexican inspired recipe, check out these others:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Beef Barbacoa Recipe (Slow Cooker or Instant Pot)
- 15-Minute Chicken Tacos
For Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1-8 ounce jar salsa verde
For Mexican Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
For Taco Meat
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons salsa, you can use salsa verde as well
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil, more if needed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8-10 homemade tortillas, corn tortillas, flour tortillas (if making for non-gluten-free friends), or my favorite Siete tortillas (Siete tortillas are gluten-free and paleo-friendly!)
- 1-2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or cheese of choice
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1-14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 cup salsa of choice
- Fresh cilantro
Make the slow cooker salsa chicken:
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in a slow cooker and add 2 cups of salsa verde, or just enough to coat the chicken. Set slow cooker to 4 hours on high. Check halfway through. Depending on how thick your chicken is, it might cook in less time.
Make the rice:
- Place all ingredients in an instant pot. Secure the lid and using the "MANUAL" setting, set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Once five minutes is complete, let the Instant Pot slowly release pressure for at least 10 minutes. Turn the valve to release the remaining pressure after 10 minutes. Slowly take off the lid and fluff with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. *If you do not have an Instant Pot, check below for stove-top directions!
Make the taco meat:
- Place all ingredients into a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté until all of the meat is cooked and no pink remains. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Make the sautéed peppers and onions:
- Add oil to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot add in peppers, onions, salt and pepper. Let cook until peppers are soft and onions are translucent. Set aside in a bowl until ready to assemble.
- Place rice on the desired tortilla. Add either chicken or taco meat and any other add-ins you want!
- Fold in the sides, and then roll.
- Either serve right away or wrap individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil tightly. Let freeze individually on a sheet tray, and once frozen place in a bag for long term storage, up to 3 months. These will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months!
- Unwrap the burritos and place on a plate with the seam side down. Reheat in a microwave for 2-4 minutes until heated through, or place in a toaster oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Wrapping with the gluten-free tortillas can be difficult. I recommend using less filling to accommodate this.
- Mexican Rice on the stovetop: Place 2 cups of rice, 2 cups of water and sea salt in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down heat and simmer on low until all of the water has dissolved. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Taste before setting aside until ready to assemble! Store the rest of the rice in a airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-6 days. Rice should be discarded if left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Make the homemade tortillas!
- I've made these with lettuce and tomato in them just fine, but if you don't like the idea of that, simply omit the optional lettuce and tomato!
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!