This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Quick Spicy Italian Chicken in Tomatoes is such a simple and quick weeknight dinner, that is packed with so much flavor! There is option to turn up, or eliminate the heat of the dish, but either way it’s delicious. Serve these chicken breasts in tomato sauce alongside roasted green beans and you have yourself a perfect low-carb, paleo-friendly, Whole30 approved meal that takes under 30 minutes to prepare! Talk about a WIN!
Quick Cooked Chicken Breast in Tomato Sauce
Easy weeknight dinners are THE BEST! This quick cooking Spicy Italian Chicken in Tomatoes is a super delicious dinner to cook when you have less than 30 minutes to get food on the table and you are relying on pantry staples!
We made this low carb by serving it with roasted green beans, but if you want to go a little heavier with the carbs and have a little bit more time on your hands you can serve it with roasted potatoes, rice or pasta.
We love spice, but not everybody does, especially if you are serving kids at the table. Feel free to omit the red pepper flakes in this dish, or lower the heat by adding in just half.
Ingredients Needed to Make this Italian Chicken in Tomatoes:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning
- Dried Basil
- Whole Plum Tomatoes
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Green Beans
You can also substitute whatever seasonal veggies you have on hand to roast as well. Cauliflower would be great here, as would zucchini or eggplant.
If you like this chicken recipe, check out these others:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken (dairy-free)
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Roasted Chicken Dinner
- Sheet Pan Ranch Chicken and Veggies
Quick Spicy Italian Chicken in Tomatoes
Roasted Green Beans:
- 2 cups green beans cleaned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- big pinch sea salt and black pepper
Italian Spiced Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced horizontally through the middle
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper more to taste
- 1 medium onion fine diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups whole plum tomatoes in sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes optional
- 2 handfuls fresh organic spinach optional
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. On a sheet pan add green beans, olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Once the oven has heated cook until the green beans are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Pat chicken dry. Season with Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Once pan is hot, sear chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until all sides are browned.
- Add onion to the pan and cook until the onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add in tomatoes, red pepper flakes if using. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce has reduced and the chicken is fully cooked through. Season to taste. If adding spinach, add in at the end and let wilt.
- Serve chicken hot with green beans.