This gluten-free Key Lime Tart is made using honey and coconut milk for a rich, tangy and smooth filling! It’s simple to prepare and can be optionally topped with a honey meringue for a showstopper dessert. It’s gluten-free and made without any refined sugars.
Key Lime Tart
This Key Lime Tart is the perfect (and beautiful) dessert to roll out in both hot and cold weather. This simple tart is made using our favorite gluten-free pie crust, filled with a tangy and smooth key lime filling and optionally topped with a delicious honey meringue that you can either leave as is or toast it!
Key Lime Tart Ingredients:
- almond flour (you can also substitute our nut-free, gluten-free crust here)
- tapioca flour / starch
- key lime juice or regular lime juice
- lime zest
- coconut milk
Can I use regular limes in place of key limes?
What makes a key lime pie a key lime pie is, you guessed it: key limes. But they are only available certain times of the year and they are much smaller than regular limes (known as Persian limes) so they take a bit more work to get the total amount of juice needed. And while there might be slight difference in taste (key limes have a bit heavier taste of “lime” with higher acidity), it is perfectly acceptable to use regular limes!
Can I bake this in a pie tin?
Technically yes you can. But depending on the size pie tin you are using, the filling might be a little low, as this is meant for a 9″ in tart.
- Honey meringue (you can either pipe a pretty border, or cover the entire tart)! Toasting is optional but a nice touch.
- Coconut whipped cream
- Regular whipped cream
If you like this tart recipe, check out these others:
- S’mores Pie (Gluten-Free)
- Chocolate Decadence Pie
- Homemade Healthier Pop Tarts (Gluten-Free + How-To Video)
- Roasted Grape Tart
- Pecan Pie Tarts
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 5-6 limes)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 drops essential oil lime oil
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a food processor combine almond flour, tapioca flour, cold butter, and sea salt
- Add in honey and eggs and process until dough combines
- Transfer dough to refrigerator for 1-4 hours, up to overnight
- Remove and separate into two balls (for mini tarts) or one large ball for regular size tart
- Grease tart pans or one large tart pan and gently press dough into the center, filling up the sides and the bottom
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown
- While cooking, blend together key lime filling ingredients
- Once the shells are cooked, pour in filling and cook for a remaining 15-20 minutes, until filling is firm to touch
- Top with coconut whipped cream or meringue, garnish with lime zest, and serve.